Where death reigns | Teen Ink

Where death reigns

By CloudyCanvas BRONZE, Yamunanagar, Other
CloudyCanvas BRONZE, Yamunanagar, Other

Malala Yousafzai once said, "I raise up my voice not so i can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard... We cannot all progress when half of us are held back."

Thousands of civilians are killed brutally in armed conflict areas each day and that too in record numbers, but what really is their fault? They are being used as human shields, suicide bombers and nothing but a mere object to show superiority over other nations despite protections under the International humanitarian law. Our heart melts when we look at the plight of people suffering in Afghanistan today or looking at those being deprived of their homes and families in the Israel-Palestine conflict. It is especially women and children who are suffering disproportionately in such situations and no one is speaking up for them.Millions of children are being displaced internally due to the violence. There must be awareness about the same among people globally and at all levels. Not only media and awareness campaigns would do, all nations must take needed steps to support them, be it through financial aids, fundraising campaigns, educational campaigns and peace talks.

I am particularly appalled by the high numbers of human rights defenders, journalists, and media workers killed since peace negotiations. The violence that has brought so much pain and suffering to the population in war zones for decades must stop and steps towards reaching a lasting peace must continue.The UN has consistently called for a humanitarian ceasefire as the best way to protect civilians from harm. Parties refusing to consider a ceasefire must recognise the devastating consequences their stance has on the lives of civilians.

We must support the children suffering in such areas and help them to achieve higher education in any way we can as each stand we take will one day make a difference. After 20 years of war, Taliban has swept to victory in Afghanistan and I am at each moment crestfallen seeing the news about the innocent civilians pleading for their lives in Afghanistan.Not every day do we see people hanging on for their lives to aircrafts. Is this how far we've progressed? Is this what the world needs today? Imagine looking up in the sky and seeing hundreds of rockets hitting the iron dome up in the sky, not knowing when the moment will come that you die, leaving everything behind. The extremity of violence must concern all of us, be it Afghanistan, Yemen, Israel or Palestine because no matter the nationality, we must work tirelessly for humanity to thrive.

This piece of writing came as a result of the flashing news on my screen all day long after the recent Afghanistan incident. Anguish,disappointment,the rays of hope and hopelesness- these are the emotions which were penned down.As a high school student,I hope to make changes and make this world a better and certainly a more humanly place to be in, and I hope this article sparks something inside of you when you read it.