Ending the War on Terrorism | Teen Ink

Ending the War on Terrorism MAG

July 28, 2009
By Kelsey Freeman BRONZE, Carbondale, Colorado
Kelsey Freeman BRONZE, Carbondale, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Since 9/11, fighting terrorism has become a top priority in our nation. Each year, the U.S. spends billions of dollars on the war in Iraq, attempting to dismantle the extremist groups that threaten us. However, we have had troops in Iraq for eight years and still terrorist groups continue to operate.

People in 22 of the 23 countries ­surveyed believe that the war in Iraq hasn't weakened the terrorist group al-Qaeda, according to a global poll by the BBC World Service. If eight years of war have had little effect on terrorism, it's obvious that America needs a new approach. To truly work toward a solution, we must help stabilize Muslim countries associated with terrorist networks. The most effective way to fight terrorism in the Middle East is to help these countries create a thriving economy, a functional government, and a successful educational system.

The war in Iraq is a temporary attempt at solving the problem of terrorism. Even if troops disable certain terrorist groups, they can't prevent new ones from forming. In fact, military suppression of a country tends to lead to more support for extremist groups. “Building a gauntlet of security around the U.S. and pounding Muslims into submission isn't going to make the world any safer,” wrote journalist Todd Wilkinson in the Bozeman Daily Chronicle.

To truly work through the issue of terrorism, America must look at its roots. Extremist groups exist in every religion. It is only when these groups gain power that they become dangerous. This tends to occur when a country is unstable. For example, after the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s, the Taliban took control of the region. If America provides support to countries experiencing instability, we will help prevent terrorist groups from taking power.

According to Benazir Bhutto, Pakistan's former prime minister who was assassinated in 2007, “Extremism, militancy, terrorism and dictatorship feed off one another in an environment of poverty, hopelessness and economic disparity among social classes.” Therefore, in order to disarm terrorism, we must combat these factors.

The first step to accomplishing this is to support the creation of educational systems that allow children to rise above the social and economic situation of their parents. Today, ­Pakistan spends 1,400 percent more on its military budget than on education, according to Bhutto in her book, Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy, and the West. As a result, poor communities that don't have access to schools either go uneducated or turn to militant schools, known as madrassas. In the words of Bhutto, “From illiteracy and poverty stem hopelessness and from hopelessness come desperation and extremism.”

Some militant madrassas are seen as breeding grounds for terrorists because rather than focusing on education, they “manipulate religion to brainwash children” into soldiers, according to Bhutto. The U.S. needs to take the first step in providing international support to help Pakistan and other Islamic governments prioritize spending on education. In doing so, it would begin to prevent extremism. “There's nothing which disarms hatred more thoroughly than the promise of attaining a better life through peace,” according to Wilkinson.

Strengthening education in the Middle East will also boost local economies. When educated children surpass the economic status of their parents, a middle class is created. Micro loan programs can also aid the creation of a middle class, which is ­essential to a strong workforce and a stable country.

A strong middle class is also essential for a successful democracy. While the U.S. should not force democracy on any country, by supporting stable, civil governments, we can keep terrorist networks from moving into power. In Saudi Arabia in 2007, a woman who had been gang raped was ­sentenced by the government to 60 lashes and six months in jail. Stability cannot exist in this type of unjust government. As the book Enhancing Peace insightfully articulates, “Letting social inequities and injustices fester provides a rich breeding ground for terrorists.”

There is currently a strong sense in the Muslim world that the West wishes to impose its values on other societies and undermine Islamic culture. Many moderate Muslims see the global war on terror as a war on Islam, according to Bhutto. This is not the image that will help the U.S. build allies.

America needs to build a strong relationship with the Middle East to combat terrorism. When we earn the trust of moderate Muslims, we can join with them to overthrow extremist groups. This method aided the U.S. immensely during the war in Afghan­istan when we sided with the Northern Alliance (the anti-Taliban coalition made up of several Islamic ethnic groups) to overthrow the Taliban.

How can we create the type of dramatic change in perception that's needed? The answer is to invest against terrorism by stabilizing the Middle East. As Bhutto wrote, “When ordinary people identify assistance improving their lives and the lives of their children, they bond with the source of that aid.” This type of connection could bring a dramatic turnaround in perceptions of America. In fact, substantial evidence supports this. After the 2005 earthquake in Pakistan that killed 90,000 people, the U.S. donated half a billion dollars for reconstruction, and American soldiers delivered assistance to freezing and starving survivors. A poll conducted by ACNielsen immediately afterward showed that favorable views of the U.S. increased by over 50 percent. The same poll indicated “a precipitous drop in support for Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda,” according to Bhutto. Direct and visible support from the U.S. creates dramatic changes in perceptions over a short period of time.

Creating and supporting organizations that stabilize the Middle East should be regarded by the U.S. as long-term investments against terrorism. Through the Marshall Plan, implemented in Europe after World War II, the U.S. spent about $13 billion to aid the recovery of European countries. The modern-day equivalent of that amount is about $185 billion. This money could be spent on rebuilding the Middle East, and if this cost were shared by North America, the European Union, Japan and China, the U.S. would contribute just $37 billion, compared to the estimated $2 trillion for the war in Iraq by the time it has ended.

But a solution shouldn't just be about writing checks. It should be about Americans working with Iraqi citizens to support visible, clear, and direct programs that give people what they need. This type of solution not only makes sense for the U.S. but is morally right. To paraphrase Greg Mortenson – who has spent the last decade building schools in Afghan­istan and Pakistan – money can fund wars; it can also prevent them.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 85 comments.


on Nov. 11 2010 at 6:46 am
StanHubertson, Oak Park, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 29 comments
I said IRAQI, not Al Qaida member. They're not one in the same.

on Nov. 5 2010 at 11:20 pm
Jakethesnake BRONZE, Hernando, Mississippi
1 article 0 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Read, Read... Read everything, then write."-William Faulkner

No, but don't you dare say that there wasn't a single Al Quid a member on those planes. 

on Nov. 5 2010 at 11:17 pm
Jakethesnake BRONZE, Hernando, Mississippi
1 article 0 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Read, Read... Read everything, then write."-William Faulkner

Beautiful, I cna assure you that every soldier would tell you the same thing. They see the culture down there and have a right to complain when they are, in fact, not just soldiers, but citizens. They ahve the right to say that they should not be dieing for the people in that country. They did it in Vietnam, why not now?

on Nov. 5 2010 at 11:15 pm
Jakethesnake BRONZE, Hernando, Mississippi
1 article 0 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Read, Read... Read everything, then write."-William Faulkner

But every day young Americans die to simply be a police officer. Let them come home and see their families. The time for fighting is over, let her solution take its course and you will see just how effective it could be.

on Nov. 5 2010 at 11:09 pm
Jakethesnake BRONZE, Hernando, Mississippi
1 article 0 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Read, Read... Read everything, then write."-William Faulkner

The Taliban nor any other terrorist group do not have the manpower, munitions, or means to strike a potentially deadly blow the United States. And if the war does come home, I would say 'It's about time.' Europe has been under siege by terrorists since IRA began using bombs and fear to get what they wanted. However, considering that Ireland is not truly its own country, it shows how ineffective terrorists group are at achieving political goals. They can only achieve goals of fear.  

on Nov. 5 2010 at 11:05 pm
Jakethesnake BRONZE, Hernando, Mississippi
1 article 0 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Read, Read... Read everything, then write."-William Faulkner

I love the solution, how you presented facts, and how you have little to no grammar or spelling errors in your article. This is an exceptional piece that is deserving of all the credit in the world.  

on Sep. 22 2010 at 2:22 pm
GodsStudent BRONZE, Abc, Other
2 articles 0 photos 21 comments

First of all, good writing. But the solution isn't just supporting happy 'everything's perfect' foundations that help schooling, eliminate poverty, etc. These are good things, but will not end any war.

We tried doing that, and that's what got the war STARTED. If we withdrew our troops, terrorism would rise in Iraq, and then the war would come to here, to the U.S.!

We need to finish this.


on Sep. 22 2010 at 3:57 am
tomtamtimmy GOLD, Sydney, Other
17 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
you don't know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have

all of you guys forget that the tighter we squeeze the more uncomfortable middle eastern countiees are going to get. we can't eaxactly go in there guns ready to pop it would freak everyone out. there has to be a way of defeating terrorism without seeming so intimidating.

on Aug. 31 2010 at 8:29 pm
MairGwyn PLATINUM, Sterling, Virginia
23 articles 14 photos 35 comments
yupp, they have a book out with a good answer to that, and that's it lol. Lavinia by Ursula leguin

on Aug. 31 2010 at 8:27 pm
deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 439 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

You bet, haha!!

on Aug. 31 2010 at 7:27 pm
MairGwyn PLATINUM, Sterling, Virginia
23 articles 14 photos 35 comments
The answer to that question.... because men are men lol

on Aug. 31 2010 at 3:41 pm
deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 439 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Fantastic writing! My eight year-old brother and I were watching a documentary on 9/11 and he said, "Why does there have to be war? Why don't people like each other?"

on Aug. 31 2010 at 3:12 pm
MaliyahP. SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
There are pirate ships and steam ships but the best ship of all is friendship.

I really like your article and I hope that you keep writing!

on Aug. 9 2010 at 10:17 pm
goldmansharone GOLD, Boulder, Colorado
13 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people
What a miserable thing life is: you're living in clover, only the clover isn't good enough.
You'll never shine if you don't glow.
Selfishness is a horrible trait.

Great article!

I was nearly killed twice as a baby because of suicide attacks. This was when I was in my mom's stomach. If my mom has been in those two situations.... which she so easily could have been... my whole family would not be alive right now.


on Aug. 9 2010 at 10:16 pm
goldmansharone GOLD, Boulder, Colorado
13 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people
What a miserable thing life is: you're living in clover, only the clover isn't good enough.
You'll never shine if you don't glow.
Selfishness is a horrible trait.

Israel and Palestine are fighting because of unresolved issues, that go back way before Israel was a nation. It is exteremly complicated, but the war is more than over a small plot of land. The problem is that places such as the Gaza Strip and Lebanon have good people--- but they are run by terrorist organizations called Hamas and Hezbollah. These organizations hate Israel more that they love thier own people. They send bombs and suicide bombers to Israel. Israel fights back in their own defense. There have been many peace negotiations, but it is just talk. It is sad, because the countries that surround Israel have good people, but Hamas and Hezbollah are terrorists who ultimately do not care about their nation, more about ceasing Israel's existence.

Hope this helps.


on Aug. 9 2010 at 10:15 am
beautifuldisaster18, Arlington, Texas
0 articles 1 photo 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
Keep your feet on the ground, When your head's in the clouds.

If you are so against this, than why did you join the military! I'm thankful that we have people that fight for our country, but if all you're going to do is complain, why should I be thankful. I mean, don't get me wrong, I still am. Even if you are going to complain I'm still thankful that you risk your life for our country. That's courage. But it just bugs me when you complain. Please remember, it was your choice to join...

on Jul. 18 2010 at 12:54 am
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania
48 articles 0 photos 1752 comments

Favorite Quote:
Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Umm, hate to burst your bubble, but no, it doesn't.  And they fight over the land of Israel because both believe it is their rightful homeland, although the one has a much more legitimate claim.

on Jul. 15 2010 at 10:31 pm
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
1 article 0 photos 158 comments
Violence is down in Iraq roughly 80-90 percent.

on Jun. 4 2010 at 7:32 pm
starlight26 GOLD, Miramar, Florida
11 articles 7 photos 174 comments

Favorite Quote:
*life isnt about pretending to be something you're not. It about being who you are and finding someone
who loves every bit of it."

"Life's tradegy is that we get old too soon and wise too late"

Exactly.!!!!! I agree.

on Jun. 4 2010 at 7:30 pm
starlight26 GOLD, Miramar, Florida
11 articles 7 photos 174 comments

Favorite Quote:
*life isnt about pretending to be something you're not. It about being who you are and finding someone
who loves every bit of it."

"Life's tradegy is that we get old too soon and wise too late"

They are using religion as an excuse. Islam,(the muslim religion) does not teach anything that has to do with war and terrorism. It teaches the absolute  opposite. Peace and love~