How Many Of You Hate America? | Teen Ink

How Many Of You Hate America?

By Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Many of you will be enraged by this article. I mean no offence to any human being, merely a minority's actions. And if you can condemn a terrorist group, can you condemn a group of terrorist that don't use guns and use the American people to shield themselves?

xflighty_firex BRONZE, Clarity, Other

Your right. We're not perfect.

People- I know a lot- are greedy. We end up doing wrong things. And our 'American Dream' isn't exactly black and white. But then again, nothing is.

But I don't think it's fair to judge all of us. I'm American, first generation from a third-world country.

I can't honestly judge you. I can't insult you back. I don't think I can change your mind. But remember, it's not fair to judge a freck'n 1 BILLION POPULATION by their crappy goverment & political leaders.

Don't hate said...

To begin with, America is not perfect. It is completely childish to point out all of America’s flaws and none of her beauties. This type of strategy suggests that one is trying to escape criticism themselves. I will admit that SOME people spend too much or pollute etc. Furthermore, America is a free country with good people in it, just like everywhere else. In the past few years alone, entire debates have been brought up about issues not only like financial/health care but even about animal rights and college tuition/scholarships. How can you say that people are ignorant, simple-minded, and gullible when there is so much competition to get into American colleges of prestige and creative/open-minded activists working day and night to change the world? This author brings up our supposed ignorance yet when I read this essay, I find countless grammar mistakes, fragments, scattered thoughts, contradictions, and plenty of over-generalizations about the people of America as a whole even though she states her essay is targeted toward the corrupt politicians, businessmen, and others like them.

Second, in the first paragraph, she states that America makes “no military progression” but exactly afterwards declares “waging war on a country... dispute.” Obviously, the writer herself does not know what she is talking about. She is like a child who doesn’t know what she wants or what to complain about. Is she mad about America’s inactivity or hyperactivity? She brings up multiple times that other countries are bad too. This shows us that she is pessimistic, snobby, and judgmental because of the way she thinks no country is “good enough.” I agree that all countries have some flaws, but raging against everyone is not going to mean that your country is any better.

Later on, the author says that Ecuador is worse off because America gave them too many loans. No one can predict the future, and it suited both countries interests at the time to have such a transaction. It was NOT a case of America stealing money. At least half the blame should fall on Ecuador for getting themselves into such a mess. After all, if a person trips on the sidewalk, is it the property’s owner’s fault for not noticing that blemish, or is it the fault of the person for not looking where they were going?

Next, the author tries to make America out as a bully with nuclear weapons and armies. I would like to make the case that America is not the only country with nuclear weapons, so how could that have affected the other country’s decision? If anything, America’s wars were brought about because other countries would not be “bossed around.” In fact, the author states in paragraph 3, “The war with Iraq is a simple example… Iran refused to…” Believe it or not, both countries are mentioned in the same breath. This shows the author’s contempt seeing as she cannot even distinguish between the two or which one is going to be talked about. The terrible grammar makes it even more difficult to read.

My final and perhaps most important point is that there are no sources for ANYTHING in this article. I cannot bring myself to believe in simply the words of an over-enthusiast and biased author. Without sources, I will not and cannot accept her facts. I have a personal grudge against her statistic that “only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month.” I am certain there are no statistics even existing that could back this up. Also, I would like to make the point that since this author does not live in America, she would not be able to know this or anything about the way anyone lives. Expanding upon that, she declares that America’s products break easily. This is absolutely not okay. I myself know that if I pick up nearly anything in a house supply store, it will read “Made in China” or “Made in Taiwan” on it. When I buy anything that says “Made in USA” I keep it for years before it wears out.

simplyfeel SILVER, Peachtree City, Georgia

"If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed. "
Christopher McCandless "Into the Wild"

I do agree that we use an insane amount of energy sources. I also do agree that politicians are exceptionally greedy in this nation. However, to say America is solely a bully is wrong. We do try to help people. We almost always end up doing it the wrong way though. We end up making them hate us. For example, Iraq and Afghanistan. America originally invaded those countries for possibly oil reasons and suspicions of terrorist organizations living there. Eventually, it turned into trying to grant more freedom to the people and helping them embrace democracy. Oil became a secondary reason. However, it's quite evident that our efforts to help the people have turned against us and many of them just plain ol' don't like us. We tried to help Vietnam in the same way from a cruel dictatorship. Everyone knows that didn't work out.

What I believe is that America is an extremely flawed nation, but I do not think it is as foul as you perceive it to be. I just gave you one example with the whole "trying to save a country from oppressive rule" spiel. To say the people of America are as wrecked as the government is wrong. The normal folk, or as some call them the 99%, just want jobs and a stable home life. That's just like everyone else in every part of the world. The qualifications that you listed out that make us a bad nation most people know nothing about. The average joe would know nothing about how much energy resources we use. The average joe would not know about the situation in Ecuador. We are more guilty of ignorance than arrogance. Because of our ignorance of the dirty things the U.S government has done, we are lead to be ensured in the propaganda that we are the greatest nation on Earth -- with some flaws of course. The average joe does have a suspicion we entered the Middle East for gas and know politicians are only out for themselves. So to bash the entire nation, I feel, is wrong.

Aside from all that, your piece was well written and thought out. Interesting read.

Christopher McCandless "Into the Wild"

I do agree that we use an insane amount of energy sources. I also do agree that politicans are exceptionally greedy in this nation. However, to say America is soley a bully is wrong. We do try to help people. We almost always end up doing it the wrong way though. We end up making them hate us. For example, Iraq and Afghanistan. America originally invaded those countries for possibly oil reasons and suspicions of terrorist organizations living there. Eventually, it turned into trying to grant more freedom to the people and helpng them embrace democracy. Oil became a secondary reason. However, it's quite evident that our efforts to help the people have turned against us and many of them just plain ol' don't like us. We tried to help Vietnam in the same way from a cruel dictatorship. Everyone knows that didn't work out.

What I believe is that America is an extremely flawed nation, but I do not think it is as foul as you precieve it to be. I just gave you one example with the whole "trying to save a country from oppressive rule" spiel. To say the people of America are as wrecked as the government is wrong. The normal folk, or as some call them the 99%, just want jobs and a stable home life. That's just like everyone else in every part of the world. The qualifications that you listed out that make us a bad nation most people know nothing about.  The average joe would know nothing about how much energy resources we use. The average joe would not know about the situation in Ecudar. We are more guilty of ignorance than arrogance. Because of our ignorance of the dirty things the U.S government has done, we are lead to be ensured in the propaganda that we are the greatest nation on Earth -- with some flaws of course. The average joe does have a suspicion we entered the Middle East for gas and know polticains are only out for themselves. So to bash the entire nation, I feel, is wrong.

Just look at how America has treated the Native Americans.

Maybe Imperfectly Beautiful cares enough about America to be able to see its flaws but still want to stay and help it ,like I do.

i think you are missing the point 

TheLiberalist BRONZE, Briarcliff Manor, New York

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all" -Oscar Wilde

Please write more! This is exactly correct! I wouldn't even go as far to say it's an OPINION article, which many might, because everything is completely correct. America needs to remember what it truely means to be "by the people for the people"

thelogicoflove SILVER, Camden, South Carolina

I don't understand why you use 'fat and ignorant' in the same phrase. Is being fat relative to being illiterate? Are you actually comparing being overweight to being imprudent, homophobic, discriminatory, and shallow?

Anyway, I partially agree with the rest of your post, despite the bigoted comment above. I just don't understand why you are still in America if you think all these awful things about it.

wi234 said...
wi234, Boston, Massachusetts

great article! 

DivingForRoses, Dickson, Tennessee
She clearly stated in her article that her remarks were aimed not at Americans, but at the corrupt members of our government. She was not being hateful in any way, but was criticizing the U.S. government for things we're openly guilty of doing. She never once said that all Americans are evil, nor did she say that our country lacks any form of qualities that redeem us. Her article was meant to stimulate change, not incite anger. Please realize that.

DivingForRoses, Dickson, Tennessee
Unlike many of the other readers of your article, I found it informative and strong. Your status as a foreigner to America does not change the fact that a few key members of the government are guilty of greed and stepping on developing countries in order to acheive their own selfish means. In our brief history, the U.S. has not only affected Ecuador, but also Guam (1945- infested the island with snakes, resulting in loss of several species of exotic bird), Iran (1954- restored the shah to power after citizens had removed him from office) and Nicaragua (1986- Contragate). We may not be the only guilty party in the history of civilization, but that doesn't lessen the U.S. impact on other people everywhere. In addition, you made it quite clear that your article was not an attack or accusation of wrong-doing aimed toward all Americans, but toward the few that even Americans accuse of greed and unethical behavior. Thank you for posting.

RosySea SILVER said...
RosySea SILVER, Port Hadlock, Washington
While I agree that America has done quite a few awful things,it is unfair to blame and hate an entire country for things the common citizens don't necessarily have a say in. Just because SOME Americans are greedy and selfish doesn't mean all of us are. Everyone needs to take a look at the big picture before deciding an entire country is foul. Also, I just have to say that hating us won't change a thing. Everyone all over the world hates everyone else plenty, and our generation doesn't need to add to that. We need to learn to create awareness and FIX our problems, not just blame them all on someone else and make them fix everything. If we blame, blame, blame, we may as well go back to preschool!

silentpeacock BRONZE, Whitney, Texas
1 article 1 photo 80 comments

all it takes is all youve got

i dont agree with what is going on right now, but as an american i feel not only insulted but i really hope you dont blame me or any other random american for these things. i agree were arrogant. not me, my country. but the things we used to stand for and kinda still do are something worth being proud of. stuff like religious freedom and non-monarchy. i am proud of USA dispite its flaws. and p.s. why arent you griping about china? doesnt everything say 'made in china'?

Grace E. said...
Clopsey... the United States is one of the few places in the world in which you will not be killed for your postings. In China you would be killed. In Iraq you would be killed. In Iran you would be killed. The U.S. and Great Britain are two of the most free places in the world. About slave labor... the reason Chinese products (toys, clothes, and other sundry items) are so cheap is they have no minimum wage; thus employees are paid next to nothing. Furthermore, China is one of the most oppressed places in the world - they even limit how many children a family may have. If anyone attempted to pass anything like that in the United States they would get laughed right out of legislature. I have never heard China described as "open minded" before. The Chinese government kills: Christians, capitalists, political dissenters, and almost everyone who does not agree with their policies. I kid you not. In conclusion, there are only two classes in China: the rich and the poor. The rich have weaseled their way up the social ladder through their good connections. The poor have no way of escape because the government bans most of the things that would assist them to come up from their virtual slavery. Before I am judged for this post let me say this: I hate none. I am merely confused that someone would feel this strongly in this way.

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

"Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison
"Don't think or judge. Just listen." -Sarah Dessen

If you loathe our country so much, why are you still here? Americans are proud of their country and thankful for our freedoms. If you haven't noticed, not everyone promotes botox and changing outward appearence. Not everyone agrees with discrimination. You are judging others when you don't even know them. This is downright arrogant. America is a country proud of our history, proud of our military, proud of our rights and freedoms, and proud of our people. And you're sitting here telling the world that America is full of a bunch of selfish, homophobic, celeberity-worshiping, botox-encouraging, slavery encouragers, and a bunch of fatties? Maybe you should be more aware of your surroundings. Not EVERYONE agrees with these statements. To assume this is true is an insult to Americans everywhere.

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

This is very true. Hating a whole country is just downright arrogant.

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

While I respect your opinion, to really know what the US is like, you have to experience it first-hand. Our country does not go around shooting others for no reason. All of the government's military associations have specific tactics, whether we are aware of them or not. Many work hard to keep America the Beautiful just that. America was raised by our Founding Fathers, and London was raised differently. So, obvisously, there will be disagreement over what's right and what's wrong. But most importantly, we are proud of our country and those who serve it with honor. Our country relies heavily on our military, but what's wrong with that? We're not the only country who uses guns and nukes! So, as a strong American, I think it's redicilous to write about what a bad country we are without experiencing it's true beauty for yourself.

TerraAnimusPatronus BRONZE, Eden, North Carolina

«You are either the best kept secret or just surrounded by blind people.»

im sorry but... why is america horrible again that it uses earths resources without giving it out. wow that sounds so much like every other country. america is in a place that is not as rich in oil and things of that sort so we have to buy it from other sto keep up with the times. but america gives the most freedom to its people if people really thought america was horrible and such why would so many people immigrat here to have better life just becuse you hate america doesnt mean your right in everyway and fashion if you hate america so much why even talk about it in the first place, if you hate burning your finger on the stove why put it back

YoungAndAware BRONZE, Not Yet., Ohio

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
― Ron Paul

I understand your resentment towards American apathy regarding earthly resources, but the apathetic people which constitute the majority of American society should not be condemned for their arrogance but rather pitied, though humiliation would only antagonize arrogance; but I'm sure you know that people adopting concepts from propaganda is not astonishing. What you must understand is that there is a significant difference between the Founding Father's recognition of America and the corporate UNITED STATES established by the Act of 1871 based in Washington D.C. (District of Columbia), a.k.a. the Federal Government. There is many more factors that contribute to this corruption friend, I can only ask that you empathize with this truth. Corporate lobbying, illegal crime organizations threatening our representatives and using them as puppets to pass and reject anything that is presented in our House of Representatives of Senate. Just search for the NDAA 2012 (National Defense Authorization Act of Fiscal 2012), which the BBC has probably already brought to your attention, and you will know of the despicably obvious corruption the minds of aware Americans (both young, like myself, and old) must endure. Just imagine your strife, annoyance, and agitation towards my country in which you don't reside in. My troubles are much greater, if I may be contemptible. Do not fuel hate towards my people, but sincere intolerance towards its culture. This article will only touch those who already know and agitate those who are at fault. I am sorry for the ways of my country, and you must know of my responsibilities as an enlightened citizen, but if my message is suppressed than how far will yours go?