"Don't Ask Don't Tell" | Teen Ink

"Don't Ask Don't Tell"

October 13, 2009
By DizzyRae PLATINUM, Fort Washington, Maryland
DizzyRae PLATINUM, Fort Washington, Maryland
20 articles 2 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
“For one human being to love another; that is perhaps the most difficult of our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof; the work for which all other work is but preparation.”
-Rainer Maria Rilke


On Saturday, October 10, 2009 President Barack Obama spoke in front of the largest gay rights activist group. He told them that he WILL end the "don't ask don't tell" policy of the armed forces. Many people felt like that this would not happen because of the progress the President has been doing so far. He did not give a timeline on how long this will take but I still believe that he is doing his best.
The policy is sad. Why are we banning CITIZENS that want to help save our country the right to fight. Just because they are gay. What does being gay have to with fighting? If the armed forces need help or more people who are they going to get, will be the young people of today or the gays. In his speech, President Obama says "We should not be punishing patriotic Americans who have stepped forward to serve the country," and "We should be celebrating their willingness to step forward and show such courage ... especially when we are fighting two wars." I agree with him 100%. I trust Obama and NO it is not because he is black, but it is because he has the power, knowledge, and courage to help put this nation back in the right place.

The author's comments:
A friend of mines who has a girlfriend and wants to join the Navy but her girlfriend will probably be kept a secret.