Juvenile Justice | Teen Ink

Juvenile Justice

January 7, 2010
By Heather Bergeron SILVER, Houston, Texas
Heather Bergeron SILVER, Houston, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A minor who commits a serious crime should be tried as an adult with equal consequences. Taking the life of another human being is a serious crime and should be dealt with in an adult manor.

Whenever a minor commits a crime
that would be considered serious for an
adult to commit, the child should be
punished equally. In reality, children are
not usually taught to kill and break the law.
Their parents want the absolute best for
their kids and jail or even death is not one
of the options. A child is around many other people and will learn that murder is wrong and the outcome will be very harsh. Children do not learn to kill people from television or from their teachers. Murder is a sin no matter your age and there are consequences. Some minors do the wrong things because they think that because of their age, the adults will have more sympathy for them and they will get away with the crime. Jessica Wilde makes a point of if you “lessen the consequences of their actions will not only undermine the victim and his or her family, but also make it seem excusable after a short period of remorse” (1).

Mike Hendricks, who defends the minors, makes a point of how “Kids are not adults. Their brains are wired differently. They don’t think things out the way we do” (1). I somewhat agree with this; however, no one in their right mind would think it is o.k. to
murder someone. Of course I do not agree with putting a young child, who does not know what they have done, into an adult jail; however, there is a certain age where they have the knowledge to not go and kill another person.

In conclusion, a minor who commits a serious crime should be tried as an adult. Sending a minor to rehabilitation will not help them because their attitude is that once they get out, they can go back to their old ways. If we enforce stricter laws for minors, it will prevent them from even thinking about committing such a serious crime.



The third piece of writing I wrote was my paper about juvenile justice. I shared my opinions about how underage kids should be tried as adults depending on the severity of the crime. The strengths of my paper were my arguments in my thesis and a few of my points. I gave reasonable topics for my body paragraphs. The weaknesses of my paper were the small amount of proofs I drew from the sources and how little commentary I used. I could have given more response to the quotes to make my arguments stronger.