The Battle of Your mind: An essay of Peace | Teen Ink

The Battle of Your mind: An essay of Peace

By Ghost63 BRONZE, Mayfield, Kentucky
Ghost63 BRONZE, Mayfield, Kentucky

The Wise Young sage is foolish. As the Foolish old sage is wise!

The Minds of Man

At one time in history man was in need of food. As a result of the predicament, the bow and arrow was invented by a curious young fellow who had an idea. The idea was made for the purpose of food, to attain food, and to allow protection of the food, and the user, from the larger animals in the time period. But wait… Then comes along another man, older, tired, lazy… and greedy. His people had cast him out for his dishonest ways peacefully, he was starving, he was desperate.

He had been stealing and massacring the meals and food stores of the other men. He was in this situation, the cause for war, for an otherwise peaceful world for the other. The other had no intent of harm, might have even shared his food or his idea had the man asked.

But did he ask? I think you know the answer just as well as I do. He sat and watched the other man lay down his weapon, and go to sleep. The other man creeped up to the bow, and stole the arrows, and the what was no longer an idea, but a weapon. The other man arose from his cave, and the event that that so makes me mourn occurred. The idea was made, and the idea was used, but to what extent? The mind of man whose selfish tendencies took ONE idea of the possible billions that man has made, and used it for personal gain.

When you pull this idea, made for peace, and place it in the hands of another man, it is no longer the original idea. The tangible thing held with the sweaty hands of a bloodied individual, is now a weapon not of the physical world, but of the realm of the mind, it is a weapon formed by nothing more than a single mind at that moment. When you pull the string of this tool of peace, your intent may be of self defense against another, or violence, or sport of hunting.

But when you release the string of the weapon, you will always receive the same result. You have taken a life, from the victim, and the victim’s family, community, friends, even yourself. You have taken the idea of one of the most selfish and wicked people in history, and you have made their idea your own.

When the gun was invented for the same purpose (allegedly), a priest took the idea he had made, and made it possible. Eventually a Colt pistol was made with the (alleged) same intent. But by this time the Earth’s inhabitants had already seen their fair share of war, and wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to use it for personal gain.

At the end of WWII the Allies had completed the Manhattan Project. The original intent of Einstein’s theory was of Scientific Observation and the benefits of Mankind. Then the Axis powers (not many people know this so listen up!) began to develop a program for the research of what their scientists had learned from the nucleus of a very dangerous atom. Uranium would prove to be a force of not mankind, but of such man’s mind it would be impossible to imagine it without seeing it yourself.

The bombing of Berlin, and the Rail-splitters, or an Allied force made specifically to destroy shipments and supplies, stopped Germany’s scientists from recovering what was in some of those buildings. There were documents that could have literally changed history in it’s entirety. We got lucky. There was man’s idea who changed the original, into a possibility of nuclear destruction. We just beat him to it, and now we have to worry about rogue nations developing said nuclear payloads, for fear that their hatred towards a country (allegedly) devoted to peace, whatever that country is!

Wether or not the Allies let loose of the arrow of the Atomic Bomb, with intentions of Fatman and Little boy to end a war and save Allied Soldiers lives, the outcome was the same, and would have been the same, had any other country used them, for an idea of the mind not already unheard of. My father used to have Nuclear Weapon threat drills at his school, because everyone now has the worry at going to sleep, whether you worry or not, that another country is mad enough to drop “A gallon of water onto the ant-hill that is your town or city.” So was it worth it? I can’t ask you, and you can’t ask me. We are two different minds with two different opinions. Yours will be different regardless if you agree, we all have slightly, or entirely different opinions. But what touched me the most about the subject of peace had to be a Hospital organization for kids in war zones. There were two kids from two different tribes in the Middle East who have killed each other and fought for hundreds of years… Who would have thought that in a million years the trigger of that one device of (alleged) peace would put down a child, and another similar event put down another, to require them to go through such extensive medical needs, that they needed evacuation to a hospital program in the United States. So that in the end they went, “wow.” They had made best friends long before they knew where they came from and what tribe they were. They didn’t have a single difference.

So when the United Nations says the United State’s drone program, designed to take out high profile terrorist officers, whose only goal is to raze the very ground you stand on, because the outcome you believe occurs when the arrow of death is released on your soul isn’t the same, is unethical, is absurd. They are only afraid that a peaceful country will use them in future conflicts. Which the United States would not have intentions to start? Does this mean these countries have the intent to hurt us? That is regardless, the point is, I didn’t write this essay to go on and on and on about everybody agree, I went on and on and on to show you everybody disagrees and that’s what makes the human race special. We just have to realise that if we don’t work together, we will kill ourselves over a tribal difference with no place in modern times. We will kill each other gladly, absolutely gladly, over oil, made from the skeletons of ancient beasts that gladly killed over the food that they needed.

When the other countries decide to release the arrow of their intention. Let it be peace. When you declare peace… Who in their right minds would ever decline? If the whole world let go and got along, there would be no diversity. You aren’t supposed to like everyone. But you are supposed to know the difference between tolerance, and downright hate. Which some people have proven to me they cannot possibly do. The final question from my deepest and most precious part of my crying mind, body, and soul as I wright this is, “Can you?”

This is not an essay of showing every body we should think one way, or all assimilate with agreement, how would that work? i go to a school where i am HATED because i voice my opinions. If i don't like Rap music *i don't, and i never will* i am made fun off and scrutinized without relief for as long as their minds can tangibalize what "Rap" is. So would you be willing to even get along with a kid like me in that situation, much less the ENTIRE world?
this is an essay about mutal understanding. I don't like your idea, and you don't like mine. They conflict. Why should that get in the way of what i was doing before we met? Just because my different beliefs say for instance that i die and i come back to earth, are you going to kill me? Some people surprisingly answer yes, regardless of wether i say i go to a different heaven, that i go to asgard mayby... They will preach hatred and hell to me, and i believe the same thing on the inside. They take their idea, and they use it not as an idea, but as a weapon.
This article is just asking that you don't do that, and if you do, you just might see a change.

Ghost63 BRONZE said...
Ghost63 BRONZE, Mayfield, Kentucky

i meant if you shoot your intentions toward somone and try and give them your intentions in a way as such, make the intentions peace. i see what you mean now :)

Sunshine15 PLATINUM, Modi&#39in, Other

Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, nothing else ever has. ~Margaret Mead

Great article! I really enjoyed it... just one question: in the last paragraph, what exactly are you saying? that there can never be peace because we're all too diverse, or that we need peace and tolerance in the world?

Ghost63 BRONZE said...
Ghost63 BRONZE, Mayfield, Kentucky

thanks Miss Wilson, your one of the few teachers who honestly would have taken the time to read a "long" paragraph such as this :P you stand as my favorite, and only, AA teacher :)

jwilson86 said...
This is a wonderfully create and RAW piece.  I admire your enthusiasm! 

Ghost63 BRONZE said...
Ghost63 BRONZE, Mayfield, Kentucky

i can honestly say i appreciate the feedback i have received from you. Honestly i don't care about the magazine print or anything like that, i get a smile when i make people feel happy, or i show them i can do better than sit around and play xbox like everyone else. i don't update  with new pieces very often because they are not a commodity. the print magazine is cool and all, but the non exclusive publishing will keep my best work in my own hands. I encourage you to do your best, and not let anyone tell you who you are.

Ghost63 BRONZE said...
Ghost63 BRONZE, Mayfield, Kentucky

that's why i don't write something new every day, its why i don't write about how terrible obama is doing or anything like that. I dont want to be put int he magazine, i don't really care, i do not write to please, i write because i CARE. thank you both for the feedback.

nifty50 said...
Great Piece! Love To Read Something This Raw With Original Thought.

emilyjoe DIAMOND, Algonquin, Illinois

"What if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection?" -Calvin & Hobbes

i think this was a very interesting piece. you're right, not all people will ever agree on anything, but that doesn't change your life. you can have thoughts, and opinions, and believe whatever you want, and the best part is, is that you don't have to push that upon other people. some of my own opinions are very hard for some people to wrap their brains around, very difficult to understand, and most of the time against the odds of the country. but my favorite part, is that when people tell me what they think, and what they believe in. i do not disrepespect them whatsoever. i tell them that i'm glad they are able to have tangible thoughts and think as an individual. attacking someone for their personal beliefs is asinine. because no matter how many stones you throw, they will never change their mind. but i always make sure to listen closely. someone very close to me once said that "words and ideas can change the world". and i believe it 100%. great piece. you're an awesome writer (: