Bloomberg Banning Sodas over 16 ounces? | Teen Ink

Bloomberg Banning Sodas over 16 ounces?

By xXxCrisxXx SILVER, Hamilton, New Jersey
xXxCrisxXx SILVER, Hamilton, New Jersey

"Dude, call me crazy, but I can't stop thinking of her."

Over the years, soda has played a large part in the American industry. Many people enjoy soda when going to theaters and restaurants. However, soft drinks contain staggering amounts of sugar. In a 20-oz. Coca-Cola bottle, there is at least 65 grams of sugar, which means that for every ounce there is at least three and one-fourths ounces of sugar. The consumption of soda is one of the contributors to the thriving obesity in America. Mayor Bloomberg of New York City has recently stepped up with a plan to lower soda consumption by banning the sale of soft drinks that contain more than 16-oz. Even though Mayor Bloomberg believes that when this law is passed people will decrease their soda intake due to the smaller amounts of soda that will be served, this is not a wise decision. It is not a wise decision because this will only cause people to spend more for soda, does not eliminate the fact that people have a choice of whether or not they will lower their soda intake, and may scar Mayor Bloomberg’s image since many citizens already oppose this proposal.

If this plan will be approved, people who are used to buying large drinks will have to pay more for two or more drinks. The problem is people will be willing to pay a little more just to get their sodas. Failure to follow if the law is passed will result in a 200 dollar fine per drink sold by the vendor. According to huffingpost.com, Jake Dell, a fifth-generation owner of Katz's Delicatessen, a Lower East Side icon, says: "I understand the theory – limiting people to smaller portions and encouraging moderation – but ultimately it's up to our customers to make that decision… This probably wouldn't affect our bottom line. If people want more than 16 oz., then they'll just order two." Jake is correct, which takes us to the next point.

While this decision may cause a small amount of frugal people to reduce their soda intake, people will still have the choice to drink as much as they want as often as they want even after this law is passed. People can still pick up two liter bottles of soda at their local grocery department, and the 7-Eleven 32 oz. Big Gulp will still be available since 7-Eleven is not a restaurant. The only thing that will change in restaurants is the size of the drinks. People will still have the freedom to have free refills and buy more than two drinks containing 16 oz. in them. Bloomberg cannot and most probably will not ban free refills, lest he ruin his image and be viewed as a controlling mayor who meddles in small matters.

Although Mayor Bloomberg has good intentions with this proposal, he is already getting negative feedback from the citizens of New York City. Over half of the New Yorkers oppose his proposal, saying that they will still drink soda in the amount that they want. In the New York Times, a young post office clerk by the name of Arla Lucien said, “Really, you’re going to tell me how to eat and drink? That’s not going to work. It’s hard to do with kids; you think it’s going to work with adults?” Besides this, many are questioning the mayor’s fine of 200 dollars, which exceeds the 100 dollar fine for possession of marijuana. Some are also beginning to accuse Bloomberg of attempting to set up a “nanny government” because he is meddling in such small matters rather than putting his focus on more important things.

To sum everything up, although Mayor Bloomberg believes that banning drinks over 16 oz. will raise health awareness, one can see that this is not an intelligent decision. Human nature is to rebel against authority, and people will still drink as much soda as they want. The Bible even states that “your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit.” Whether or not this law is passed, everything is simply a choice, and it is up to the individual on how to deal with the situation.

twolter said...
@ConstanceContraire, Throwback Pepsi products have actual sugar. The point is that you SHOULD care if Bloomberg bans sodas over 16 oz. Don't we live in a free country? What is free about telling people what they can and cannot consume?

xXxCrisxXx SILVER, Hamilton, New Jersey

Update: This law has been approved. 

ok i really dont care if Bloomberg bans sodas over 16 oz but get this very importent fact straight, corn syrup is in soda not sugar.  another factor for our obesity crisis is that corn syrup is in everything, even in items that dont need it. Plus there are places in america where people cant acess produce the government only gives them fast food places to eat (called food deserts)