Deflategate | Teen Ink

Deflategate

By Myer Agnor BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Myer Agnor BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Tom Brady and the Patriots cheated. It isnt the first time the Patriots have been accused of cheating, but the first time they got away with it. Not this time, the NFL came to a concluding decision to suspend Tom Brady for four games, and the team would lose two draft picks and be fined one million dollars. Since the Patriots got caught with deflated balls, Tom Brady and the Patriots should have serious consequences.

The NFL says the Tom Brady should be suspended. Does a deflated football help you win by 30+ points? Many will say no, but most think that it gives you an advantage. There is no doubt that a deflated football is easier to grab and throw. But Tom Brady is a great quarterback and will a deflated football make him better? Many believe that his punishment has something to do with his popularity. “Everybody’s blowing it up because it is Tom Brady,” (Bleacher Report). If it was any other quarterback there wouldn't be as much fuss. Not a lot of people like Tom Brady and that adds to the problem.

It is true that the Patriots have been accused of cheating in the past. And now it comes up for a second time in less than five years. So the Patriots have a past of cheating and that adds on to their punishments. Suspending one of the league's best quarterbacks may be the right thing to do. Tom Brady says he had no clue the balls were deflated. Brady believed he didn’t do anything wrong.  ‘When I picked those balls out, to me, they're perfect” (Deflategate). Usually if you pick up a ball and it is deflated, you would know. Although there is no proof of the balls being intentionally deflated, many things can assure you they were.

However true all these ideas may be inaccurate. Since there is no evidence of the balls being deflated we can't accuse anyone of cheating. So therefore no one can undergo any certain consequences. Did deflating the balls help give the Patriots an advantage? If they didn't deflate the balls would they have lost that game? Nevertheless the Patriots still went on to win the Super Bowl. So the balls had nothing to do with them winning that game. So why should Tom Brady be suspended? He should not be suspended for the great quarterback he is with the skill he has. He is a true leader of the Patriots and has shown that because of the recent Super Bowl championship.

Besides all these ideas he should be suspended for things other than the deflategate. The Patriots have the least amount of fumbles out of any NFL team. Would that be caused due to the footballs? A football is easier to hold onto if it is deflated so that could be the case. But many fans and critics just think Tom Brady is a full blown cheater. “If people want to judge him as a cheater, that’s their opinion.” (Bleacher Report). This has come up in the past involving the Patriots head coach being involved with taping other NFL teams practices. It can all be someone's opinion, but that won't do any good without any evidence.

The consequences that came to Tom Brady and the Patriots were the right thing to do. It was about time the Patriots got called out for something. But people are still asking about their recent Super Bowl win, and if it should be stripped from the team. If cheating helped you win it definitely should be stripped. For the upcoming 2015 NFL season it looks like the Patriots got it the worst. They will have to pay the price, because yes their star quarterback is suspended for four games. It is the right thing to do, suspending Tom Brady for the deflated footballs he played with.

It matters to me and everyone else that thinks Tom Brady should be suspended, because the end result comes true. Anyone would think that cheating at this level is childish. People will find out some how at any professional sport level. It wouldn't be ok to cheat in any sport especially at this level. You get over cheating in youth sports and usually don't bring it to the pros. So if you think cheating will help you win or you think you will get away with it, you better think twice, because it didn't help Tom Brady and the Patriots.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

"NFL Spokesman: 'No Decision' on Brady Punishment." Bleacher Report. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 June 2015.
"Tom Brady and Deflategate: A Timeline - CNN.com." CNN. Cable News Network, n.d. Web. 01 June 2015.
"Tom Brady Is Smart to Keep Quiet On #DeflateGate." ProFootballTalk. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 June 2015.
Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times, n.d. Web. 01 June 2015.