If I Were Mayor of My Town | Teen Ink

If I Were Mayor of My Town

November 7, 2017
By Anonymous

Living in the city of Carson, California has been a blessing my whole life. The environment is perfect as you are able to walk to and from school without being afraid of the dangers that lie in today's society. It is sad that this can't be said for neighboring cities such as Wilmington and Compton, which border Carson. If I were the mayor of any of the two cities, the first thing I would address would be the homeless youth that lies amongst the streets. I had previously become a tutor for School on Wheels, where I was to report to a Domestic Violence and Homeless Shelter every Tuesday for an hour. The amount of kids and adults located at the shelter was heartbreaking, to say the least, and this is a problem in today's society. We tend to ignore the less fortunate lower class, but more importantly, we ignore the kids of that lower class, the future of society. The amount of volunteering programs especially with the use of technology today is endless and I believe we can use it to generate teacher volunteers to help teach the youth of those cities. Maybe some tutoring every now and then, but any step for helping cure this epidemic is a step in the right path.


The author's comments:

My tutoring at the Domestic Violence/Homeless Shelter at Wilmington.