A Phrase So Controversial | Teen Ink

A Phrase So Controversial

May 19, 2021
By Joiiiiiiiiii BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Joiiiiiiiiii BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

African American equality, a phrase so controversial. Yes, I do mean, “In the land of the free and home of the brave.” I know what you are thinking, African Americans have been free for about 155 years now, but I regret to inform you we are still entangled in the symbolic ropes of freedom. We wish to be free of hate crimes, free of harsh judgment, free of the thought that we are inherently inferior. Have you noticed this fight has yet to end? You know, the prolonged injustice or blatant inequality. It could not be more evident than right now. The same tragic story is told for generations now about the deaths of our brothers and sisters. We are bonded by the common indecency faced in our everyday lives. A bond that is for us, by us, birthing a culture. A culture that came with innovative ideas to allow our ancestors to do the unimaginable. Asserting the urgency of the value of our lives into the conversation because that is what we are owed. At least we are owed that much. In a country where, “Nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty or property without due process of law.” Time after time we are told to not have this battle, to hold off on these conversations, to do it on the terms of everyone but us and that has yet to stop us. From Quock Walker v. Jennison (1781) to a literal pending case right about the unjust death of Breeona Taylor (2020). History speaks for itself but time has shown the African American agency has kept the culture thriving like never before.


The author's comments:

I am Joi and this piece of writing was initially written as a spoken word for a history class I am currently enrolled in. I thought what I wrote was powerful and deserving of others to hear.