Puss and Dog nuh have di Same Luck | Teen Ink

Puss and Dog nuh have di Same Luck

By 21arepat BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
21arepat BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

A proverb is a short quote which often gives life advice. Jamaican proverbs are passed down through generations, usually told to us by our grandparents when they are trying to scold us for bad behavior or warn us of something. When I first came to the United States, I was well aware of what code-switching was and that it would be needed for the person you are interacting with to understand you; however, I was unaware that it was needed for me to be looked at and treated with respect. What would it matter if I wanted to speak in my native dialect, as long as I did it in a respectful manner? Unfortunately, people today have to code-switch inorder to thrive in society.

Growing up, my grandmother would tell me how necessary it was for me to speak proper English. She would exclaim, “Yeh, di people dem love di Jamaican talk but Puss and Dog nuh have di same luck.” This meant that though everyone fancied our dialect, it is not assured that I would have the same experience as others. She wanted me to be prepared for being among those who viewed our dialect as a sign of lack of education. Dhru Beeharilal, a Forbes Councils Member, recognizes that “deriving satisfaction from life requires a balance between these two identities (Absolute and contextual), and often, our professional or personal challenges can be traced back to a failure to understand and integrate one or the other.” If we are unable to navigate between our various sides based on the situation we are in, then life becomes an unwanted challenge. We become outcasts in either one or both of our communities, which I can promise, no one should want.

Immigrants tend to separate themselves into two. The person our family and friends interact with and the person present in our work and school environments. I am guilty of this, but in my case I learnt from watching how my mother navigated being in a different environment and followed her. Many people have to learn new ways to survive on their own. 

If you met me while I was at home, you would think I was a totally different person. It’s not that I or any other code-switcher is two-faced but that we are given no other choice but to integrate ourselves into the culture of the majority. This begins to take a toll on a person. "No matter the situation, it is clear that a person who must present different versions of themselves in different environments will be faced with feelings of stress, confusion, frustration, or even inferiority. These feelings can affect that person’s mental health, '' Marris Adikwu, a freelance writer, summarizes.  When one acts or speaks differently than those around them, a level of uncomfort begins to surface, for both parties.

To allow oneself to feel safe, code-switching is done as it separates the outside world from our personal norms. It helps us to navigate a new environment and those who don’t code-switch, begin to feel excluded and may even experience anxiety and depression. However, it is no better for those who do practice code-switching, because we may at times feel like a counterfeit dollar or uncomfortable to be ourselves in certain situations, making us less social.

I have been in many situations where I have slipped up and used Jamaican dialect; saying a phrase incorrectly in terms of the American dictionary or using broken English and in most of those situations, I was made to feel unintelligent by those who heard. America prides itself on human rights and their push for equality, yet forgets that everyone comes from a different walk of life. We should not have to change our way of speech and behavior to fit the standards of others. After all, isn't it freedom of speech Americans constantly fight for?

Work Consulted 

Beeharilal, Dhru. “Code-Switching And Identity: Embracing An Intentional Approach.” Forbes, 05 October 2020, forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2020/10/05/code-switching-and-identity-embracing-an-intentional-approach/?sh=74f01f0232ae . Accessed 20 April 2022.

Marris, Adikwu. “The Mental Health Costs of Code-Switching.” Talkspace, 29 January 2020, talkspace.com/blog/code-switching-what-is/ . Accessed 20 April 2022.

I am originally from Jamaica and moved to the United states a little over a year ago. I have grown accustom to changing my way of speech to accommodate for those around me. Which I believe to be important for the benefit of both parties. However, I don't believe that those who are unable to fully switch between one language or dialect to another should be reticule for it. Everyone should be allowed to express themselves however possible.