Stomping Out Cyberbullying | Teen Ink

Stomping Out Cyberbullying

August 19, 2022
Brendan-Diesel-Zankowski BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In a discord chat, I was publicly humiliated when I proudly shared a song I created and my friends tore it to shreds, having me doubt my abilities and worth. I am not alone.  Many children and teens have been victims of cyberbullying at one point in their lives.  Children who spend large amounts of time in cyberspace become more connected to these relationships and are at a greater risk of being a target of cyberbullying. Frequently, cyberbullying is more severe than traditional in-person bullying. It is easy for people’s darkest side to emerge when their identity is anonymous, and they experience no consequences for what they say. We must eradicate cyberbullying because it destroys self-esteem, produces insecurities and depression, and sometimes have led to suicide. I have personally witnessed cyberbullying during an online meeting in which dozens of students ganged up to spam a friend in the group chat, making fun of him. Peer pressure and a herd mentality swelled the group and ratcheted up its viciousness until the victim tearfully pleaded with them to stop. The effect of this incident wasn’t isolated, and I watched him withdraw, cut off physically and emotionally from his classmates. As a group, the students thought they were just having fun but the emotional consequence to my friend was permanent, and he would likely carry it with him the rest of his life.


The author's comments:

An inordinate amount of my time is spent online, as I love to produce music, and this is often a collective project. During my time in various chats, I am witness to bullying that is unedited and untethered to any sense of humanity, from my standpoint. I felt like it was important for those adults in kids’ lives to step in and be involved, and for corporate social responsibility to make this an initiative. I hope to take this further than my opinion article and petition corporations to act with social conscience where teens’ emotional and mental health is involved.