Misogyny is still a problem | Teen Ink

Misogyny is still a problem

Misogyny needs to end. There are many cases in social media where young boys would idolize men who promote the idea that men are greater than women, which encourages violence. This isn't the only time where there is gender biased violence as it has been normalized centuries ago until action was taken.

Another big issue today is the fact that there are too many contradictions when it comes to spreading equality. For example; when people try to prove something by saying "We are finally proving that women are as capable as men" which would passively establish that women were not capable beforehand. Another issue is how feminism has been contorted to seem as something negative- something that excludes all genders but female although feminism is about the equality of genders.

Misogynistic people have taken many things out of context and painted an image of feminism and equality throwing men under the bus which also leads to extreme insecurity. These kinds of things lead to violence and assault which is unfortunately what many women experience to this day.

Misogynists may deny these things and say that misogyny and sexism isn't real, but in fact, 1 in 3 women globally have experienced physical violence which stems from misogyny. In conclusion, instead of trying to prove another wrong, we need to promote peace & love which would further normalize equality and break some layers of misogyny.

I have written this piece based on something that has been bothering me as a young lady living in America. This topic has bothered me throughout my life so now that I'm going into the real world I'd like to change the way things are.