We Are Not So DIfferent | Teen Ink

We Are Not So DIfferent

March 15, 2024
By 1RedRose BRONZE, Unspecified, Illinois
1RedRose BRONZE, Unspecified, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

We are not so different. 

Think about it. 

    Beneath the color of our skin, beneath our body types, and hair, and eyes, we are the same. We may look different on the surface, but beneath those shallow, surface level characteristics, we are the same. 

    According to the National Human Genome Research Institute, humans - all humans - share 99.9% of DNA. 

We are the same. Differentiated by only 0.1% of ourselves. 

    Beneath the physical appearances, behind the wealth that some have and most lack, behind the popularity and clothing style and and social status. Behind the power and the lack thereof, we are the same. We are brothers and sisters in humanity. 

   And yet we separate ourselves. But why? 

   We separate by race, by religion, by popularity, by political affiliation. By literally anything we can think of, and go to war against each other. The battles never end. An endless cycle of fighting and infighting stretches before us. Started eons ago by our ancestors and carried on like some twisted legacy from generation to generation.

And so we are faced with a question: will we continue that legacy? Will we let our leaders in government tell us that we must fight to survive? Or will join together and thrive? 

That is our choice. We are the next generation. We are the future. So let's make the future beautiful and unified, not in spite of our 0.1% difference, but because of it. 

After all, we are not so different.