How to write a Female Script | Teen Ink

How to write a Female Script

By CiciZhang BRONZE, Shanghai, Other
CiciZhang BRONZE, Shanghai, Other

"Back then, girls weren't allowed to go to school, so we used Nüshu instead of Chinese characters to write letters to our sisters, sharing our grievances with each other." These words were spoken by He Yanxin, the last natural inheritor of Nüshu from Jiangyong. She began learning Nüshu from her grandmother when she was ten years old. "At first, I watched my grandmother write, but later when I started learning, she wrote on the palm of my hand."
Nüshu was a secret; it couldn't be known by men. “When we sisters were around four or five years old, after our grandmother taught us on the palms, we would go outside to the muddy roads and practice.” says Yanxin.  These girls would sharpen small sticks or bamboo sticks, quietly finding a rarely visited roadside to repeatedly review the strokes and characters taught by their grandmother on the soil. When they grew older and needed to do household chores, they would use the ashes from the bottom of the pot mixed with water as ink, their knees as desks, secretly writing while cooking.
Nüshu was created by women, used by women, and circulated among women. It is more than just writing; it is also a culture. Therefore, before putting pen to paper, please remember: Nüshu is the crystallization of women's resistance, a cry of compassion from women of that era who elevated their own pain and lamentations to sympathy for the entire society. Yanxin said, 'As a child, I didn't understand the plight of women; I only remember my grandmother shedding tears whenever she picked up a pen. Starting from the bottom before going to the top, starting from the left before going to the right. The characters of Nüshu, which carry women's lives, are like plants following the cycle of life; after women die, their lives and sorrows are burned away in the flames. After her grandmother passed away, Yanxin burned all of her own writings. Yanxian said, “"Compared to before, I prefer the present now, because of freedom."
 Nüshu consists of only over 390 characters, yet the number of people learning and understanding it is increasing. When the world denies them education, they create Nüshu. Women's suffering has always been present, and the only ones who can liberate women are women themselves. Yanxin's message to women of the new era is, “I hope they are free.”

This article was written after an Interview with Heyanxin, the last natural successor of Jiangyong Nüshu in Hunan Province, China.