Sexual Abuse In Black Women | Teen Ink

Sexual Abuse In Black Women

May 31, 2024
By ketairaa BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
ketairaa BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 Sadness. Confusion. A lack of longing. These are all feelings that Black women feel after being sexually abused. By definition, sexual abuse is when someone is forced or tricked into sexual activities. One in four black girls will be sexually abused by the age of 18. The things that these young women have to go through are not okay. The likelihood that you will be abused sexually before you get your first job is not something that should be happening to these young girls. Black women are vulnerable to intersectionality, the systematic oppression black women experience based on their race and gender. These policies and practices make it hard for black women to be protected. 


Sexual abuse in Black women can be amplified due to the over-sexualization of them. 

As young black girls, we are taught to be more vigilant and be prepared for anything. We are also expected to be more responsible with ourselves and our actions. According to a study by the Georgetown Law Center for Poverty and Inequality, Black girls are perceived as being more responsible for their actions, aggressive, angry, and more knowledgeable about sex. This over sexualization creates a false narrative about young black girls. There is a chance black girls will be called, there is pressure all throughout high school to be thick and have a nice body. 


Many people believe this is because of the “Strong Black Woman” stereotype that highlights and emphasizes their strength, but diminishes their emotional well-being and humanity. People shouldn’t only see us as a stereotype. We are humans and feel things just like everyone else does. We shouldn’t be subjected to an idea that perceives us as emotionally stunted or that we aren’t allowed to express how we feel because we should be strong enough to handle it. For every black woman who reports rape, at least 15 black women do not report it. Black women don’t report their sexual abuse for a multitude of reasons, it could be due to shame, humiliation, fear of retaliation, and racism. Even the Black women who do report it are less likely to be believed than their white counterparts. Black women are unprotected by different organizations that are responsible for our protection like schools, medical and mental health providers, and even our community. 


How America should fix this as a whole is to not produce such a stigma on Black women and sexual abuse. Women not being able to use their voice because they feel as if they won’t be believed or because of a stereotype that they should be able to handle it better is not acceptable. When anyone is sexually abused they should be believed. The feeling of someone not believing something traumatic happens to you is more than actions can bear and their one reaction will follow you for the rest of your life. This event will affect everything you choose to do. My advice when someone tells you they've been sexually abused, believe them, your listening and paying attention can go a long way. All it takes is one person.


The author's comments:

Ketaira is an 11th-grade high school student. In her free time, she enjoys watching tv, reading books, and baking.