Colorblind: Racial Ignorance in America | Teen Ink

Colorblind: Racial Ignorance in America

By silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

I hope to change someones life one word at a time. Hopefully, it's a positive change and it's for the better, but any change at all is a step to an amazing new future.

Though she knew she was breaking the law, Rosa Parks, a simple, elderly, hard working,
housemaid, one day decided she would not give up her seat on the bus for a white man. And with that small act of defiance, she became, unintentionally, a Civil Rights icon.
Parks never intended to be a popular and respected leader of this movement. She only wanted to be comfortable after a day of being on her feet. Parks was arrested, and with the media outrage that followed, America’s eyes began to open.
Sadly, that is a lie. America’s eyes have yet to open. They have steadfastly remained in darkness.

Being the youngest child of an interracial marriage, I am often asked if this relationship has affected me in any way. To be honest, I am rather offended by people who question me about this.

I am simply a teenage girl who chooses to ignore her parents' heritage, racial stigmatism, or any of the myopic, stereotypical prejudices one wishes to impose. That's their problem, not mine.
To be frank, you could not pay me enough to care what slave ship brought my fathers family from Ethiopia. Nor can I feel a pang of sorrow when relatives tell me of my ancestors' hardships when they immigrated to America. I know it sounds harsh. And yes, in a way, it bothers me. But, it is the truth.

I did realize that my father was the same color crayon in my crayon box, brown. But it hadn't occurred to me that he was African- American until the age of seven when a classmate asked, “Why doesn’t your daddy look like your mommy?” My initial reaction was to shake my head and argue that my father looked just like anyone else's father.
How could it could be possible that he was different. He coached my biddy ball team, sat through my two hour Christmas concerts, cooked when mom was away. At that age, some children have yet to learn the difference between doing and being.
That night, at dinner, I saw my parents differently. With my recent discovery, I slowly began to understand that I was biracial, and supposedly different, just like my dad.

As I grew older and went through Catholic school, teachers asked if I celebrated Kwanza. Some classmates called me cookie dough, and parents asked me about Black History Month.
No, I do not celebrate Kwanza, nor does my dad. In my opinion, Kwanza is a recently created black Christmas to build more of a barricade, to separate, not for reasons of heritage, or being different in a positive way.

I did, at one time, let people nickname me because of my skin color. My own mother even took the
liberty of calling me peanut butter. But now, since I have been questioning and thinking, being called peanut butter, Reese cup, and mocha bear, offends me. Or when people say that I am mixed, I feel like yelling. I am not a beverage, so how can I be mixed?

I believe Black History Month, along with other months dedicated to a specific group, should be prohibited. There is no need to focus on a particular group for an entire month. Instead, parents, teachers, and media should discuss historical interests throughout the year.
Historian, Carter G. Woodson’s original Black Awareness Week ,was intended to help others envision a better future through an identity of their past. But now, his vision has become a pop culture phenomenon, which corporate America has been quick to exploit. During the last Super Bowl, for example, several corporate commercials specifically mentioned Black History Month, and how much they honored it.
Another injustice of our nation is affirmative action. On September 24, 1965, the executive order number 11246 required federal contractors, “Take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, or
national origin.” With affirmative action, employers are being asked to hire less qualified workers and in some instances for more money. Title II of the Act prohibited discrimination in privately owned businesses and facilities opened to the public. In Title VI of the Act, it prohibited discrimination in federally funded programs. Title VII prohibited discrimination by both private and public employers. During the Civil Rights Era, affirmative action was created to abolish racial imbalances in hiring policies. Affirmative action was later extended to include college admissions and governmental contracts.

Today, affirmative action is a controversial matter facing our equal rights status of individual rights. As I have just recently explained, the idea and hope that affirmative action implemented was that America would truly become equal. So far, this hope and dream of equality has lasted thirty years and has yet to resolve any of our current problems concerning equal rights-it has made things worse. This act was created with intention of using reverse discrimination to resolve discrimination. With this, minority groups are being chosen over qualifications of other workers.

Affirmative action is also influential in the educational system. In some college admissions, minority students who may have never been accepted into a decent college, are now getting accepted. With this, the American people believe that this will end all racism on school campuses, creating diversity among students. The United States constitution states that all Americans are created equal. Therefore, I believe if we are created equal, shouldn’t we all have the same opportunity as everyone else?

Finally, Black Entertainment Television, commonly known as BET, creates a stereotypical outlook on the African American culture. Founded by Robert L. Johnson in 1980, the network showed movies, television series, and music to target an African American audience. BET justifies racism by pressing personal and broad generalizations about African Americans, affecting how many young viewers see the African American culture. Many generalizations include being womanizers, promiscuous, nuisances to society, and opposing integration.

This network contributes to the stereotypical diet of African Americans: fried chicken, cherry Kool-Aid, and soul food. BET also neglects the fact that most African Americans do not find people of Caucasian heritage as the bad guys or the nerds. Also, BET would like to portray the ‘injustices’ of being an American citizen who happens to be of African descent. For example, if one were to create a new television franchise called White Entertainment Television, or more commonly known as WET, people would assume it would be promoting white supremacy. BET exploits and manipulates the depiction of an African American’s daily life, which is why the network should be renamed or taken out of your basic cable lineup.

Why do Americans feel that they have conquered racism and prejudice? Granted, from that spark that Rosa Parks lit, to the election of Barrack Obama, is one giant leap for mankind. However, we are not even in spitting distance of erasing racial bigotry.

I notice it among my peers when they say, “I would never date a black guy.” Or, “They only like your dad because he’s the only black man they know.” Even, “I’m going through a black guy phase. I have to date one.”

When people mention things like these, intuition tells me it starts in the home. Where else would one learn behavior and comments of that nature? Social prejudice is not innate. It has to be predisposed. If one truly wishes to stop the idea of seeing race, it must start within themselves.

Growing up I've realized the world is colder than it used to be. People still hate people for their race and religion, so how can we say we've come so far?

soul said...
I'm happy you finally called out BET. We really do need to end it.

Boneonyx said...
-bow- your hits to rascim were powerful. the research you put into this, getting the facts accurate about affirmative action and how rosa parks truly felt made me feel like this was a college level documentary, i absolutly loved it!!! i of course am no one to kiss up to someone just to be nice and make them feel good, this piece of work truly hit home because it covered over ten (actual) aspects of our society that would be better off if we didnt single out the black minority and just flat out feel sorry for them and make them feel like eternal victems needed to be praised.they just need to be treated like everyone else, and serious props to FINALLY PUTTING AN END TO THE BRAINWASHING WANNABE GANSTER FORMING CRAP DUBBED BET, even moving it off of basic television would be a blessing.i apologize for writing unto you so much, its just that what you wrote was truly a piece that opens blind eyes to what the world desperatly needs to see
thank you

boneonyx said...
bow- your hits to rascim were powerful. the research you put into this, getting the facts accurate about affirmative action and how rosa parks truly felt made me feel like this was a college level documentary, i absolutly loved it!!! i of course am no one to kiss up to someone just to be nice and make them feel good, this piece of work truly hit home because it covered over ten (actual) aspects of our society that would be better off if we didnt single out the black minority and just flat out feel sorry for them and make them feel like eternal victems needed to be praised.they just need to be treated like everyone else, and serious props to FINALLY PUTTING AN END TO THE BRAINWASHING WANNABE GANSTER FORMING CRAP DUBBED BET, even moving it off of basic television would be a blessing.i apologize for writing unto you so much, its just that what you wrote was truly a piece that opens blind eyes to what the world desperatly needs to see
thank you

boneonyx said...
thank you

Daniel said...
really appreciate this article. I also have a problem with the stereotypes imposed by society, and it really does begin with the individual. Unfortunately, you have to understand that alot of people dont have the natural intellect to understand the influence that the media and other forms of manipulation have over them. I have always been very intolerant of racial stereotypes, for a number of reasons. Primarily the fact that I have known many people from different ethnic backgrounds, good and bad. And from personal experience, people are people. Everyone is unique and race should not be used to categorize. In my opinion, there is only one race. The human race.

I commend you for writing this article, and it is very well written. You have a future in writing if thats what you choose to do, but you know that

DirtySouth said...
I have to tell you, your essay was very stated, polished, articulate and very well written. I am completely impressed and in awe of your self awareness. You have my respect and I mean that in all sincerity

Multiplex said...
Once again well written piece Em and its good that you put some of your own personal experiences in there.

I can't say I agree with all of them.I think its sad when anyone doesn't care about their heritage - but at least your honest.

I wish Kwanzaa could replace Christmas the seven principles are so much better than what Christmas has become a bunch of hype to get people to buy buy buy basically things they could live without.

The Seven Principles (Nguzo Saba) of Kwanzaa are:

•Umoja (oo-MOH-jah): Unity

Success starts with Unity. Unity of family, community, nation and race.

•Kujichagulia (koo-jee-chah-goo-LEE-ah): Self-Determination

To be responsible for ourselves. To create your own destiny.

•Ujima (oo-JEE-mah): Collective work and responsibility

To build and maintain your community together. To work together to help one another within your community.

•Ujamaa (oo-jah-MAH): Collective economics

To build, maintain, and support our own stores, establishments, and businesses.

•Nia (NEE-ah): Purpose

To restore African American people to their traditional greatness. To be responsible to Those Who Came Before (our ancestors) and to Those Who Will Follow (our descendants).

•Kuumba (koo-OOM-bah): Creativity

Using creativity and imagination to make your communities better than what you inherited.

•Imani (ee-MAH-nee): Faith

Believing in our people, our families, our educators, our leaders, and the righteousness of the African American struggle

•Umoja (oo-MOH-jah): Unity

•Nia (NEE-ah): Purpose

•Kuumba (koo-OOM-bah): Creativity

•Imani (ee-MAH-nee): Faith

Believing in our people, our families, our educators, our leaders, and the righteousness of the African American struggle.

my only problem here is not as inclusive culturally at the Nia and Imani principles.

However when you have been excluded and discriminated against as much as the African American has - I can undersatnd their desire to create something of their own.

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

I loved playing doctor....

Anyways, thanks for reading this. I really appreciate your feedback :)

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

Thanks for sharing your story, makes you think

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

Thank you Deb, I really appreciate it. :)

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

This is really random, but I liked your thing on bullying

deborah said...
Great article Em.

Prejudice hardly just belongs to the color of our skin as you have pointed out. It is sad that the world feels anything but who we are inside matters.

I think things are changing slowly as you say and those who try to bring about change don't always do the right thing for sure.

We should all be proud of what we do to further ourselves and those around us and delight in who we are.

love and hugs

deborah

caitlin.calamity BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress.
-Bruce Barton

How is that relavent?

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

Thank you...:)

dev said...
Amazing article, Emster. And I am so proud of you. I agree with everything you said. Stereotyping is never a good thing. You know I just think of you as a bright beautiful intelligent young woman. Race has never entered into it, which is healthy. Keep up the excellent work. I give you an A+.

That my young friend is an excellent article! you have a really excellent future as an author. Yep kids notice differences (hey that's why little boys and girls play doctor... to see the differences that are hidden.)

GuyFawkes said...
read it - and all the follow-on comments - and i agree with a great deal of what you said. i think it was a well-thought-out, passionate (without going overboard), well-documented piece. excellent job! once again (and please dont' be offended time, please) i have to say that you are articulate and intelligent (and yes, many other fifteen year olds are too, but many of them are not as...globally aware as you are.)

i didn't graduate from college until i was about thirty. i graduated from a traditionally black college in the university of maryland system - bowie state university...sister to howard university, etc. i dealt a great deal with reverse discrimination in my years there, and at other times in my life. i remember in particular one seminar class , the instructor had us separate into groups based on our ancestry - you know, african-american, german/saxon, english, middle eastern, etc. the anglo group (of which i was a part) was not a huge group, but many of us were much older students. the instructor said a bunch of inane stuff and asked if any of us had any questions. a much older woman in my group asked the following question: why is it okay for that young lady over there (she pointed to a pretty young girl in the african group) to wear that t-shirt that has "black power" and "black is beautiful" printed on it, but if i wore a shirt that had "white power" printed on it, i would be considered a racist?"

the instructor shrugged and asked the african group to answer. they said it was because of slavery, etc., etc...it made me really sad.

in my interview for admittance to the education department at bowie, i was asked about diversity and how i would handle celebrating diversity in my own classroom. the professor who asked the question (who knew my opinion quite well and was white, unlike everyone else in the room - i think he wondered if i would be honest) grinned at me. anyway, i told the truth - as i see it: i think too much emphasis has been put on diversity, on the differences between us. i do not believe that this has brought us any closer, believe, instead, that it has only served to separate us even more. people should not think of themselves as german-americans or african-americans or italian-americans -- they shouldn't think of themselves as anything hypen americans. they should consider themselves, instead Americans of whatever descent, that we need to appreciate the differences between us and recognize them, but we should celebrate our similarities...

so. i agree with your piece very much.

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

I honestly feel that racism will never end. We'll always find that one group to agrue with and say they're the root of our problems, say we don't want to hire them because the way they are. It never ends, and thats really sad.

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

Does it surprise you when you here about, like, gang violence in LA? Like, african americans v. Latinos? Its really interesting but heartbreaking at the same time

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

To be honest, my fathers parents were strongly against King, feeling that he was causing a problem for them, not helping. My dad remembers not being able to swim in white or hispanic pools. He had to go to a totally different pool and he never thought anything of it for a long time.