Small Waist vs. Thick Legs | Teen Ink

Small Waist vs. Thick Legs

By lovecasss SILVER, McBee, South Carolina
lovecasss SILVER, McBee, South Carolina

"You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love "

Small waist. Size 3. Perfect hair. Flawless skin. The ideal pin-up girl for America. The role model we allow girls to have.

Now picture this.

Large stomach. Size 24. Plain hair. Acne. The ugly girl perhaps? This is what you’ll look like Sally, if you don’t eat your veggies.

The big girl, the fat girl, the one that’s assumed could eat a whole pizza. All are hurtful in some way, but why? What really is the difference between an over weight teen and an anorexic one? Both are unhealthy, yet one is more, rewarded?, than the other. Stores like American Eagle, Aeropostal, and Hollister will happily sell you a size XXS in stores. But what about an XXL? Those aren’t made available except for online. Fair much? I don’t think so.

Some say it encourages teens to stay overweight, but obviously they aren’t looking at the problem. Sure, they might stay that size if they become bigger, but if they can’t fit into anything made, how will this affect them? They’ll see themselves as ugly and uncool because they can’t wear the stylish and trendy stuff other girls there age are wearing. Most will take up to eating because they feel depressed and this will then led to depression for some. Making things better? Now look at the other scenario. Clothing companies start producing bigger clothing for these plus size girls that are trendy and stylish, plus, it fits. These girls start to see themselves as beautiful and there confidence gets a boost. This confidence boost then leads to a happier life style for them.

America in general has the most obese people in the world, yet we have hardly anything to fit them. It’s not so much like that for the guys because they sell Men Clothing bigger in the stores, but the Woman’s Clothing is either way to small or sticks to you like glue. More and more girls are seeing them selves as ugly and fat and we’re allowing it! We don’t show that they’re just as beautiful as the Size 3 girl. Media has portrayed the thicker girl as something bad, something to stay away from. But does she really deserve to be treated like that? Should she not be able to dress nice just because of her size?

DreamingOutQuiet SILVER, Round Rock, Texas

"Time and the bell have buried the day,
The black cloud carries the sun away" - Elliot

Oh if life where made of moments, even now and then a bad one. Oh, if life where made of moments then we wouldn't know we had one. - Into the Woods

this is good. Just make sure society doesnt keep dismissing naturally small girls as anorexics

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I agree. The one line I don't agree with... "The big girl, the fat girl, the one that's assumed could eat a whole pizza..." I'm a size 0 and I could eat a whole pizza! Haha, but in all honesty, really well written piece.

Montserrat.Alvarenga BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

"Dream no small dreams for they have no power to change the hearts of men."
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

How perfectly ironic; as I was reading this article, and the comments, an ad for sonobello laser assisted lipo offers popped up. Above it was a picture of skiny girl showing off her midsection because that is what most people believe is attractive. In the ad they went as far as to say that the extra pounds someone may have are saddlebags. We are not horses we do not carry around saddlebags on our bodies. Yes it might be healthier to eat right and work out but to take it from having a healthy life to making fun of somenoe because of how they look, both women and men because guys get teased about their weight as well, is not ok. we live in a world where having an amazing body is more valued than the actual person. It has become difficult to even buy a pair of jeans or eat a burger in public because we will be told that we are large enough already or that the store simply doesnt have the size we need. I do not consider myself a large girl. In most stores my shirt size is small and pant size is 5 but the few times I have gone to Hollister I have left feeling ugly. In there I am a large in shirts and 13 in pants. The scorful looks of the cashiers I get are insane. They despise me for not being able to fit into their prepubescent girl clothing and resent the fact that I am taking clothes that could have been given to goodwill. Because for them it is better to give their clothes to skinny poor girls than more econimically taken care of girls who actually eat. For anyone out there who is reading this and feels like they are insufficient because of what they were told they should look like, don't.

I'll be honest here- I have pretty big legs, and yeah i'm insecure about it. But let's say Hollister, their clothes fit me, but I'm bigger then most girls. My waist is normal, and my stomach is too. It's just chest and thighs. The only reason everything it leveling out is because I work my butt off in sports...if I could do it, I honestly think that anyone can. I have a lot of meat on my bones..but I think I look pretty normal..

antoniutc BRONZE, Edison, New Jersey

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. -Henry Thoreau

To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch… to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded! –Ralph Emerson

America is the most screwed-up country in the response of weight. If a girl has 5 extra pounds, she's considered fat, not well-fed, not built, just fat. Look at every where else in the world; in an agricultural society a woman weighing under 110 pounds is useless, shameful to her family, whereas a man looking for a wife would peer down at the feet of each woman and choose a wife based on a decent sized and strong ankles. That's right, Paris Hilton would be a widow in places like Crimea. In Africa, it would be a blessing to have those few extra pounds and you'd have all the village boys lining up and fighting like little animals for the plump girl. Everywhere except the regions of the world where the media of the Western world has had a significant effect on society, people still value women for the work they can do, not the beauty. The conventional way, in some respects is the reasonable way to go; if you can't carry your weight around, then you might as well be bagging trash and that means those stereotypical plastic chicks out there that are 80% bone. There, it’s not skinny and beautiful, it’s malnutrition and uselessness. In a way, this makes a country where every girl named Amber is a pill-swallowing cheerleading monster seem stupid and over-rated, doesn’t it America?

gaga-fan28 said...
Being extra-skinny and obese are not as opposite as you'd think. Both are actually frowned upon in general: for ever tabloid photograph of an overweight celebrity with a headline mocking her extra pounds, there's one of a skinny celebrity with the label "Anorexic" or "Bulimic". Often times it's hard to find a supersmall size, just as hard as it is to find an XXL. You say that way too many girls aer seeing themselves as ugly or fat, but so many more are seeing themselves as beautiful because of campaigning like the Dove beauty campaign that tell them, it's okay not to be perfect. The media isn't all bad in this respect. And the "fat" character is not always depicted as someone to stay away from; what about "Mercedes" from Glee, who is depicted as being beautiful and talented? I agree with what you're trying to say but I'm so sick of complaints that the media is biased when it comes to weight.

riter_wanab BRONZE, Hartsville, South Carolina
I'm so proud of you for writing carolz! It is so true and it is time people start seeing this fact.

EmoToboe BRONZE, Kemp, Texas

When you've lost it all.......That's when you finally realize.....That life is BEAUTIFUL

Why does the media portray those little anorexic girls as the role model.

I'm friends with someone who, if you see her you'd think she was anorexic, but she wasn't,, and I felt nervous about hugging her or roughing her up a bit for the fear of snapping her in half.

I couldn't live with someone like that as a wife, I'm a playful person and I wouldn't want to seriously hurt her

Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
love it love it love it! So well written!! Topic is a bit overused though.