A Homosexual Reality | Teen Ink

A Homosexual Reality

By Kandabear SILVER, East Bend, North Carolina
Kandabear SILVER, East Bend, North Carolina

"I went insane from long intervals of sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe
"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say but what we are unable to say." - Unknown
"You must say drunk on writing so that reality can not destory you." - Ray Bradbury

For someone to say “I don’t believe in homosexuality” is the same to me as saying “I don’t I’m breathing air.” Homosexuality and transsexuality are both tolerated and abhorred in modern society. It is verbalized and discussed in politics, it is glamorized and flashed across the media, and it is, by all means, a reality.

So, I can’t say I don’t believe in homosexuality. But I will say I don’t believe homosexuality is a lifestyle that should be glamorized. I don’t believe it is something that should be addressed in our politics or the focal point of so much human strife. I don’t believe it should be pushed into cartoons my siblings watch or family movies. And I don’t believe it is a lifestyle of normality.

But I also don’t believe that homosexuality should be treated as monstrous and horrid as most religious aspects have painted it to be. As Christians, do we approach alcoholics and drug addicts with as much fear and hatred as we do homosexuals and transsexuals? Do we scream “hell is your home” and raise mobs against the failing mother or the cheating husband with a porn stash dating back to the 80’s? Do we criticize any other sin as hard as we do homosexuality?

No. We don’t.

As Christians, we find mercy, forgiveness, kindness, and understanding the best tactic for reaching out to others. We use patience and prayer. We offer guidance and hope. And in these things, we live by faith that God will show himself to those we’re trying to approach.

So why should it be any different with homosexuality?

They are, in fact, God’s creatures. God made all man the same way and sees all sin equal. He breathed life into them as much as he did into any of man.

So why treat them like monsters?

Treat them with kindness. Approach them and listen with understanding. Gain wisdom and sympathy from their stories and experiences. And don’t outcast them, because no matter what, we are all human. We were all born into sin. And whether homosexuality is a choice or genetic marvel, God says “ye must be born again to see the kingdom of God.”

Being reborn in every aspect means lifestyle and all.

So Christians, don’t terrorize and mock them when you’re just fearful of what you don’t understand. Don’t persecute because it doesn’t seem normal. Don’t lift your hand against your own brethren in Christ because society wants you too. Open your heart and do what you were sent to do. Tell them about God.

bubbagump96 GOLD, Frederick, Maryland

"A friend shares their umbrella. A best friend grabs it and yells 'Run, Forrest, run!'".

I really enjoyed this article. Your opinions were very well put and diplomatic. I also completely agree. "Hate sin, love the sinner." Thanks for sharing you're views. 

gaga-fan28 said...
This was a really well-written article, and while I respect your beliefs, I don't think that homosexuality should be compared to pornography or adultery--that's your opinion and your faith if you want to say that, of course, and I know that the basic point of your article is in agreeance with my view of accepting homosexuality, I just wanted to point out that homosexuality has no victim, whereas adultery and (child) pornography does have someone who is hurt; that's the key difference.

E.Hartell said...
E.Hartell, Undisclosed, Virginia

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at. -David Gerrold

“Fundamentally, all writing is about the same thing; it's about dying, about the brief flicker of time we have here, and the frustration that it creates.” (Mordecai Richler)

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's wonderful to see such a respectful article!

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I agree. I doubt that homosexuality is really a choice or a sin, but something that someone is born with or that they develop unconciously. Even if it's not a choice, they deserve forgiveness. Society should be more open to it, because it is a reality.

Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
I agree with SarahB535- your opinion was very well put and crafted, so it didn't seem offensive. 

M.W.M. BRONZE said...
M.W.M. BRONZE, Undisclosed, New Jersey

"Test everything. Hold on to the good." -Paul of Tarsus (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

agree with ya 100% nice article

SarahB535 said...
SarahB535, Mocksville, North Carolina
You did a really good job with this. You made your point that you don't agree with homosexuality while at the same time defending its right from religous barbaric methods. I really liked this. You should be proud.