So when did YOU choose? | Teen Ink

So when did YOU choose?

June 24, 2010
By Unwritten25 SILVER, West St. Paul, Minnesota
Unwritten25 SILVER, West St. Paul, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision. (Lynn Lavner)


Whenever a person tells me smugly how gay people CHOOSE to be gay, I've always wanted to ask them, all casual-like, "So, when did YOU choose?"

The person will give me a side-eye of course, because it's a weird question. They'll ask what I'm talking about, probably looking annoyed that I interupted their stream of self-righteous homophobic chatter. And I'll shrug. Maybe smile a bit.

"When did you you choose to be straight?" I'll say, still casual.

Because that's what you're implying, homophobes. You're implying that ALL sexuality is a choice - not just homosexuality. So if that's the case - when did you choose to be straight? I'd love to know. And hey, do you think you'll choose to be gay tomorrow? Or maybe bisexual is more your thing these days.

The thing is, I don't believe that any person in their sane mind would choose a lifestyle that is so filled with discrimination and bigotry. Of course they didn't choose to be gay or bisexual or anything else they are. It's like racists saying, "They CHOSE to be black or Mexican or Indian." It's ridiculous.

Look, you can think it's wrong if you want. You can even say God hates it - we'll see who's right when (or if) you're in front of Him. But don't come up to me and tell me that it's a choice. It's not a choice - sexuality is what we're born with.