What's So Bad About the Mormons? | Teen Ink

What's So Bad About the Mormons?

By Phatguru BRONZE, Huntington Beach, California
Phatguru BRONZE, Huntington Beach, California

Everyone has heard about Mormons but what exactly is a Mormon for sure. Mitt Romney a man running for the chance to be the president of the United States is a Mormon and many don’t want him in office for just that reason. So what is the big deal about Mormons that makes them so bad? Perhaps it is because they are known for things such as the men having multiple wives, or having their own extra bible, and all the way to having large temples which only they can go into. Mormons are given many stereotypes but how can we know which of them are true? Does anyone whom criticizes Mormons have a clue of what they are truly all about? Research into the Mormon religion or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has come to show anyone who believes in the many stereotypes given to Mormons are simply too lazy to get off their social network and inform themselves and find out the truths for themselves.

Mormons have this sickening “love thy neighbor” attitude, and if you know a Mormon with a firm belief in their religion they are most of the time out doing something for someone else, doing a fundraiser, volunteering for a humanity project, helping a family with a member whom is sick, they are selfless people. Honestly it is sickening. The very thought of people constantly only wanting to help another person in need purely to help the other person and seeking no reward makes you pose the question is it all an act? What has been shown is no it isn’t an act, it is their chosen way of life. Mormons believe Jesus Christ to be the corner stone of their religion and try their hardest to be as much Christ-like as possible and as most people know Jesus Christ was the most perfect being to walk on this earth only ever serving his fellow man. Why then do people give them such a hard time if they are such good people? Perhaps it is because their organization of Christianity was formed much later than others and it just makes them an outcast. However the LDS church believes in 1832 when the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was founded that their church and their gospel of truth was simply being restored to the earth after end of the great apostasy which began with the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and the deaths of his 12 apostles. The Great Apostasy is the name given to the time when there was no priesthood on the earth for those of you whom aren’t familiar with biblical terms. Though the religion is backed with biblical references just like any other religion claims so then why are the Mormons the center of religious persecution? Mormons don’t have the reputation like Catholic school girls whom go out dressed with minimal clothing and dance suggestively, it isn’t being said that all Catholic school girls are like this, however it is proven to be true by that many Catholic girls do act like this. It is also proven teenage Mormon girls practice great moral values which many people should have such as clean language, wear only modest clothing which covers the shoulders and goes down to the knee, they listen to clean and non-suggestive music, no sex before marriage and last of all they dance like it’s the 80’s not the disgusting rubbing up on another person practiced by many teens today. There was a huge fundraiser for medical aid in Huntington Beach California called “Dance Marathon” where teens from the entire Huntington Beach Union High School District were allowed to attend, each student was said to be inspected for proper clothing and proper dancing throughout the night, however the dance got so dirty that the dance is forever canceled. Something which was supposed to provide money for a good cause simply show-cased the corrupt and fowl youth of today with minimal clothing such as “booty shorts” and “boob tubes” or for some even less, and the conduct of the students went further than just grinding, sexual intercourse actually happened between some students at this dance. Now perhaps there were some LDS youth there, but many weren’t, many actually chose to go to a stake dance where LDS youth from several areas in southern California are invited to each Saturday night, and the DJ plays appropriate and non-sexual music, there are chaperones whom make sure no inappropriate dancing occurs, but most importantly the youth have a golden rule in which they say “Leave room for Jesus” whenever dancing occurs between two people. It is astonishing to see that there are people today whom still practice good wholesome morale values, the youth every day go into a high school where it isn’t an ideal situation for them; they get up each morning for a church class called seminary for an hour to forty-five minutes before school and then try and remain within their standards outlines in a pamphlet called “For the Strength of Youth” while everyone else at school usually aren’t doing anything remotely close to their standards. Such youth should be admired and frankly it would be best if all teenagers had this kind of structure in their lives it would make for a much better well rounded society. Why wouldn’t people want to raise their children with the morale’s of the LDS church?

The Mormons have a legit religion considering there are well over 13 million members worldwide, and they aren’t a cult and force the members to act a certain way since even over bearing teens decide to follow along willingly, the question is still posed of what makes Mormons so bad? From what has been researched the Mormons deserve just as much respect as any other person on this earth. Mormons do not go around persecuting others because someone does something that they don’t believe is right, of course they think you shouldn’t do it and they won’t do it, but they won’t go up to you and kill you or tar and feather you just because of something you did. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints shouldn’t be judged because of their religious choice, just like no one else should be judged by their religious choice. Religion is one of the few things a person has to choose wholly and fully for themselves, and should never be persecuted or excluded or subjected to anything purely because their religious views are different from yours or your school or even your country. Everyone deserves to believe in what they want, and only what they want.

My inspiration for this piece was watching the news one day and someone said that they wouldn't vote for Mitt Romney because he is a mormon, plus I had always heard things and stereotypes about mormons, so I took an objective lense and scoped out Mormons. I hope that people will learn to no be so judgmental and not discriminate someone based off of their religion. Everyone has their own rights to believe what they want to believe and no one should be treated different just because their beliefs are different from another person's, that is what people get out of this.

wunderkind said...
  Ah, thank you for writing this article. I am a Mormon, and it's refreshing to find somebody who actually researches what they criticize and not throw out random nonsense. VWCDC, not to discount your opinion, but if anyone knows about mormons, it's me. I found your points quite comical, actually, and would like to say that I can truthfully tell you that I am not nice by force, or only for admittance into heaven. I also do not believe that having a lot of kids will make me a god. You realize that's what you said, right?  Also, "Spirit Rooms" is not a term I'm familiar with.  

SLCchick said...
VWCDC has made the most ignorant comments I've ever read on Mormons.  1) Mormons do not HAVE to b nice to anyone.  It's nice to be nice-you feel good when you're nice and the other person feels good-what's wrong with that? 2) Completely false.  There is ABSOLUTELY no correlation between becoming a God and how many kids you have.  What happens to someone who by no fault of their own cannot have kids...God is going to punish them in the afterlife?  Please. 3) Completely false.  No pentagrams. seances, sprit rooms in the temple.  Ignorant people who talk about Mormons when they don't know anything except what they read on the internet are scarier than Mormons. 4) Mormons don't have multiple wives.  Polygamists do.  They are mutually exclusive.

stupendousman BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona

"Hey, guys, if there's no wind, there's nothing to blow the leaves around." - from "Sons of Provo"
"Tough times never last, but tough people do"
"the best things in life aren't things"

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

VWCDC said...

I agree with you that mormons shouldn't be judged for being mormons. But the truth is, mormonism isn't truth. I live in Utah, and if anyone knows about mormons, it's me.

1) The reason they are so nice is because they believe that the more good you do on earth, the more beautiful heaven you will go too. They have to be nice.

2) the reason they have so many kids is because they believe that the more kids you have will make the universe they get to be "god" of when they die will be larger.

3) the religion is super satanic. we are talking seances, pentigrams in the temple, things they call "spirit rooms"...it's scarry stuff, my friend.

Look, I don't know if you're considering following this religion, but please don't. It sounds great from the outside, but once you're inside, it's hard to get out, they don't let you ask questions, and it's just a mess. Follow Jesus. Not Joesph Smith.