Racism | Teen Ink

Racism

February 11, 2013
By MissingSpace BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
MissingSpace BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There are many problems in this world, some more important than others, and one of the most important problems is racism. Racism is still in this country, and with help, we can reduce it. Racism is one of the worst forms of intolerance, and it needs to stop. We need to stop racism because it can and will kill others.

Put this into perspective, if man and woman of all colors are created equally, why is racism here? I believe that racism is here because we all want to be the better race. It is a race to be the better race, so to speak. Back in the 1960's, racism was a huge play on the media. Many people in the south saw that white people treated African Americans with great disrespect, so others played along. In the north, however, less racist acts were played out against other people of other ethnic groups. Now we are in the 21st century, and racism is still an issue. If we want to move forward in the world, racism needs to stop.

Racism kills people everyday. Racism is one of the leading causes of suicide in the U.S. Racism is killing people how are smart, athletic, and kind people who did nothing to deserve this kind of treatment. No man or woman can change the color of their skin, and they should not even have to. The color of someones skin should not have a stigma with it; Everyone is above the stereotypes we hear in the media, and we should rise above it.

One million starts with one, and if one person tries to stop racism, many will follow. Many people underestimate the power of one person, but it is a strong power. One voice can impact the entire world. If you, the reader, said to your friends that racism is not cool, they will most likely follow your footsteps because they respect you as a friend. And then the domino sequence would begin until the we have eliminated racism. The power of one more is more powerful than most people think.

In conclusion, racism is unnecessary, inconvenient, and unwanted. Think of racism as a little fly that hovers around you all day. If it is unwanted, get rid of it. If we get rid of racism, it would be one large step to world peace. Racism is a huge problem, and we can fix it.



Research Websites

BBC UK. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Feb. 2013.

"Racial Intolerance, Historical Stereotypes and Paranoia on the Rerun."
Diverse Education. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Feb. 2013.

Ross, Michael E. "For Some Observers, History Repeating Itself." Nbc
News. N.p., 12 June 2005. Web. 01 Feb. 2013.

Cohen, Joel H. Oscar Robertson. New York: Rosen Central, 2002. Print.


The author's comments:
This piece was a assignment from our teacher Mr.Crowe and he wanted to post it to Teen Ink.