How Far Will People Go for Freedom | Teen Ink

How Far Will People Go for Freedom

December 8, 2014
By Anonymous

 Everyone has a different perspective on freedom. There is freedom of equality, religion, Speech and many other things. To obtain these freedoms may be hard for certain people. People will go to the extreme to achieve their freedom. Freedom is the liberty to do anything to a certain extent.


Liberty is to be free. Most people will fight all their lives for liberty. That is what they call Hard-won liberty. For colored people such as Martin Luther King, Liberty was hard to achieve. King fought most of his life for freedom of equality. In the story “Letters from Birmingham Jail” King says “We have waited more than 340 years for our constitutional and God given rights”. From there one may assume that King and many other colored people were fighting for Freedom of equality but it took courageous people to stand up against authority to gain their freedom. People will fight all their lives to achieve freedom.


Martin Luther King was not the only who fought for freedom of equality. In the movie “Power of One” P. K. also fought for freedom of equality. Although P.K. wasn’t colored he was discriminated against for being English. P.K. had grown up with colored people and he had lost most of the people he considered important in his life. P.K. fought for freedom of equality in a different way that King did. P.K. would help the Afrikaners. He was trying to teach them how to read and write and he risked his life to do so. Although he fought for this freedom in a different manner he still had to be courageous to do so.


To others freedom may not be equality. According to the “Excerpts from the Social Contract” Rousseau believed that “the true meaning of freedom was to follow laws imposed by those being ruled”.  This quote means that any laws imposed by the people id freedom. Rouseau also believes that only “truly fair and just laws could be made by the people”. In this case one may assume that Rousseau has a different perspective of freedom than King or P.K. had.


People will go to the extreme in order to receive their liberty. Achieving liberty may be hard for those who do not fight hard enough. Martin Luther King is an example of a man who fought most of his life to achieve a freedom he longed for. King even died trying to achieve his liberty. King is an example of someone who earned hard-won liberty. People will go to the extreme and risk their lives for freedom because what is the point of living life locked up.