The Breaking Point | Teen Ink

The Breaking Point

December 24, 2014
By Larkbird GOLD, Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Larkbird GOLD, Pagosa Springs, Colorado
17 articles 1 photo 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
There is no point in working towards something that you do not want.


We are all victims and all have made others victims. Some of us are broken, some of us are breaking, and some of us have broken others. All these states a person may go though are states that no one really wants to acknowledge. They are states of pure vulnerability and pain. Even if you are the person who has broken others, your pain at times will be greater than theirs. Why do we do this to one another? Why are we forced to endure hardships that tear us apart on the inside? At times I can admit it just seemed easier to give up, and I can honestly say that I never really stopped thinking about giving up.


We do it to ourselves. I know that was harsh and several people can tell me I wrong, but usually it's true. We create our own pain by caring too much and forcing ourselves through the pain. Maybe some of us think it's worth it, but some of us will never think so. Even though we are injured and victims to pain we still struggle along and often will never ask why we do. Why would we keep going? Is there really anywhere brighter? They always tell us that. They always say that there is a place out there in our future that is brighter, and not to worry because everything is going to get better. Should we believe that? Well, I am not going to say no. Even though right now feels like the end, the walls in your mind are collapsing, you are drowning in pain,and being stung by your own tears, doesn't mean it cannot get better. And for many of us, it will get better. Once again it all really depends on you. Are you going to let it get better. The reason why I say many of us is because there will still always be people out there that have it worse. People that have seen the real end, and have experienced true cruelty in their lives may not make it out of the sea of pain that others have created for them. Only then do they have a right to give up, only when there is no light, no hope, or no way out do you have the right to leave us.  And I suppose many of you out there may think that you are that person, but in all reality you aren't. Someone who is that person will never get the hope to keep moving on, will never have opportunities, will never have a future outside absolute terror. Sure you may feel pain everywhere, you may have experienced loss or hardships that seem inescapable, but you are not completely and utterly broken. You still have a shred of hope inside that tells you " Maybe if you take one more step..." You still know what it's like to experience happiness even if you haven't for a while. You still can escape. So do not tell yourself that you are them. Do not be the person that prevents you from seeing a better life, and do not let anyone else get in your way either. It's not worth staying in the pain. If you really want to get out of the "pit of despair", get yourself out. You are strong enough. I know it still sounds a little insensitive to say all this but it's true. You are the only one who can really make it out alive. No one can do it for you. So if you are feeling alone, and believe nobody is going to understand you, stop lying to yourself. Because I do. I know your pain, and I have felt pain like it. I know loss, anger, depression, betrayal, loneliness, heartbreak, and guilt. I know what it's like to say I hate myself and mean it. But above all, I know how to help you, and I know the way out of the darkness. I have had to make it out more times than you know. And I will show you the way.


The pain will hurt more, and the dagger of depression will sink deeper but only if you let them. You can be breaking, broken, or have broken. Maybe you are all those things. Maybe you hate yourself. Maybe you lost. But what have you really lost? Can you try to win again? Can you try? Would you try for me? What if you knew someone would break if you stopped trying? What if you knew  people cared about you, but they are people you don't even know? What if i cared? I do care. I care about you. And I think about people like you everyday. I do this to remind myself that i am not alone. I do this because I am one of you, and understand you the best. So when I feel like I am going to break down and crawl back into myself, I think about you. Because I love you.


The author's comments:

Just been thinking about you...