Stereotypes Against Women | Teen Ink

Stereotypes Against Women

By EricaMadley SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
EricaMadley SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Women’s rights is an issue that has been somewhat resolved with large advances such as the equal rights to vote, and equal rights in the workplace. One form of discrimination against women that seems will never disappear is stereotypes or labels put on women and girls. Although there was a time when men had power over women when it came to rights generally, times have changed and so have women. Women do not fit into the stereotypes we would have in the 1920’s.

“Women aren’t strong.” This statement is a bother to most women in this century, but some men and boys feel they can say it because they feel it holds true. Well, it does not. “More than 200,000 women are in the active-duty military, including 69 generals and admirals”(By the numbers: Women in the U.S. Military, CNN staff). This proves every male who has ever said that women cannot be heroes wrong. All of those women in the military serve as heroes every day giving even less of a reason to call women weak. This idea of women being weak has been annihilated not only by the number of women in the armed forces but also the modern day female athletes. Another view on the idea of women being weak is not being able to play sports or compete with men and boys in athletics. “From 1987 to 1999, the number of girls aged 6 and over playing soccer increased by 20% to 7.3 million”(Gender Equality in Athletics and Sports). These numbers are continuously and rapidly increasing for every sport. Women and girls are making a strong presence on the athletic field but are still told that they aren’t good enough. Not as strong, fast, or athletic as the boys. The phrase “Throw like a girl” is still used to this day. And should not be. When this phrase is used it is referring to the weak, inaccurate throw that any girl would have. This phrase is used to make fun of someone’s athleticism. The strength of women is amazing, yet still underestimated and looked at as a joke to this day.

“Women are supposed to be pretty, not smart.” This is yet another stereotype women are pinned as. A man’s idea of a “perfect girl” is one who is good looking rather than intelligent. One who doesn’t speak very often but is easy on the eyes. But intelligence is another strength women posses. And what we have to say, matters.  47% of Students in Science and Medicine are women(The State of Women in Academic Medicine: The Pipeline and Pathways to Leadership, 2013-2014). Without the power of their intelligence, that 47% of women would not be in that position. On the other hand, the idea of women having to look, dress, and act perfect all of the time is wrong. No woman should be told their words don’t matter. Because they do. A new idea should be spread with a positive message. “All women are beautiful and intelligent.”

“Women are supposed to make less money than men.” Why is this? The idea of women being too weak has been ruled out, as well as intellectual strength. Men and women are equals, and should be treated equally but why should women make less than men? All humans are equal and humans doing the same work should earn the same amount of pay. Although this is not true, it should be. Women who work just as hard as men should make the same amount of money as men. “in 2014, women working full time in the United States typically were paid just 79 percent of what men were paid, a gap of 21 percent? The gap has narrowed since the 1970s, due largely to women’s progress in education and workforce participation and to men’s wages rising at a slower rate. But progress has stalled in recent years, and the pay gap does not appear likely to go away on its own”(The Simple Truth about the Gender Pay Gap (Spring 2016)). The decrease in the gender pay gap has been great, but the whole thing should go away. Women deserve equal pay, and will work to get it. The gender pay gap will continue to decrease until demolished along with the whole idea that women should make less money than men.

Stereotypes against women are harsh and are mostly out of date. These phrases should not be used ever against any women. This is the only form of gender inequality that is yet to be abolished and is the hardest to get rid of. Stereotypes against women should be stopped. So next time you hear or say something such as “Throw like a girl” really think about what that means.