Why Do We Do This? | Teen Ink

Why Do We Do This?

By ThatGuy304 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
ThatGuy304 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

I’ve decided it is time to speak about what is at the back of our minds even though it is important, the same thing that affects current day society and everyone’s social lives. Today, I’d like to speak with you about discrimination.
With the passing years there has been many incidents regarding race and religion, many of those involving Muslims and African Americans. Through the years there have been fear of terrorists and such attacking the towns and cities we live in, the people we love, and even ourselves. The thing is a lot of people use their religion as an excuse and the media talks a lot about acts of terrorism and acts of discrimination. Many news reports cover acts of terrorism, for example the beheading of christians in the Middle East. Their motive for this is their religion. This act of terrorism makes that religion, if that is their religion, look terrible. Another thing is “Black on White” crimes or “White on Black” crimes. Why do we all assume? Why do we always discriminate? Why is it so easy just to think a Muslim is a terrorist or an African American man is going to mug you? Why do we do this?

The reason is that we only see their religion or the color of their skin. The media makes us see only that and ruins our relationships with other religions and other skin colors. I’ve realized the error of our ways and now I can see a future without discrimination, without this injustice thought, without a second thought about their race or religion. Now, I can see a future where we all get along, where war doesn’t exist strictly because someone is Muslim, where we can just forget about what someone in that religion or of that skin color has done and think of the character of that person. Now, I can see us, all of us, doing the same activities with each other,  a time where no one fighting unless they have been wronged by that specific person, a time where we can just forget that their religion or race was involved in criminal activities and that we take a real good look, at… their… character!

Each and every one of us can start helping with this future now, a little at a time. We can do this simply by inviting different people into our groups, people of other nationalities, people of other religions, people of a different race. We can change and eventually we will. One day, we will come to see the effects of our actions, and if we continue with what we are doing, the affects on society will be severe. I’m not saying that this will stop for good, but I hope it does stop. One person can’t change the world,... but one person’s words can.

The world needs to change and it will eventualy. We need to start this and turn the tide.