A Dangerous Experiment | Teen Ink

A Dangerous Experiment

May 30, 2024
By sabrynac BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
sabrynac BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Students are experimenting with drugs too early because of peer pressure and due to them having a lack of support for the difficulties they might be dealing with. Some of these difficulties that are common in teenagers are academic stress, relationship issues, mental illness such as depression and anxiety, as well as external issues like fights at home.When teens turn to drugs, the drug use can lead to brain damage and also a huge majority of drugs are being combined, or “laced” with more dangerous drugs. 


Teens are damaging their brains experimenting with drugs at an early age. In a study by Drug Abuse Statistics, “11.89 million 18- to 25-year-olds used drugs in the last month.” This is entirely true that teens are experimenting with drugs way too early. The problem with experimenting with drugs at an early age is the risk of developing addiction, increasing tolerance which leads to desire for harder drugs, and taking drugs that kill teens in a matter of minutes. 


Teens need to be careful because the majority of drugs nowadays can be laced with fentanyl and cause overdose or addiction. Fentanyl is a potent synthetic opioid used for pain relief and anesthetic. It is known to provide very euphoric effects similar to oxycodone. It is also identified in fake pills that kill consumers. Sometimes fentanyl is also combined with more common drugs that teens can get access to. This leads to accidental overdoses that may end in death. 


To students who are experiencing difficulties, it is always okay to reach out to someone for support. To teens who are experimenting with substances, it is important you focus on rehabilitation and your own well-being.