I Had This Friend | Teen Ink

I Had This Friend

I had this friend one warm, beautiful summer. Okay so he was a "boyfriend" and I couldn't stop thinking about him, ever. We would hang out until the horizon gleemed with oranges and pinks. We would call eachother at 5 p.m. and hang up at 4 a.m. It was like a fairytale. But over course, all fairytales have a wicked step-mother or an orge to eat your loves brains out. My ogre was named Crystal, Crytsalline Meth to be exact. I would get high everyday, and drive to my house after and scare my sisters, brother, and mother. I threatened to break up with him if he didn't stop. So he quit...cold turkey. Yet, he seemed to get more and more depressed and lifeless. One day after school I came home to find a suicide note taped onto my door. It said that he loved me, and that he also loved Meth, and it made him happy. So he was going to overdose so he could die in love intead of with hate, and depression. He left a time and place of where he would perish. I didn't have much time. I called his cell and he picked up, high as usual. Dane's last words to me were,"I love you more than a sister, and more than my girl, but I can't die with a like a crushed rose, meant for love but no longer loved."

Dane died two days later. Drug over dose obviously. When I returned home I had a voicemail from Dane's family lawyer...he left me everything he owned including he college fund. Dane, if you can hear me up in heaven, I want you to know that I loved you even though you were sick. I loved you without Meth, even more than when you were on it. I'm sad that you are gone, and sometimes I cry myself to sleep, you left happy. Now I am the crushed rose, meant for love and no one to give it to. I LOVE YOU.

This is a true story that happened to me. I was so scared when it happened, but now I use that to help girls and women that were in the same situation as I was. It has been two years since then, and I still haven't found anyone else like Dane.

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

I'm so sorry for you! I'm glad that you're using your experience to help others, and that you're able to write about this experience. The article is written very well.

Peace420 BRONZE, Williston, Florida
Dude, I'm Sorry!

keep strong...

morgan_e SILVER, Callaway, Florida

Live life to the fullest.

Wow!! I feel so sorry for you. I have lost so many people in my life but not like that. I wish you the best. I wish I could help you with the pain you are feeling. At least he is in a better place than us and he is probably watching over you.

amazingkp. BRONZE, Lemars, Iowa
Oh my gosh! I feel so bad and sad right now after reading this. I don't know how i would have dealt with it. Wow that was intense. I really feel sad for you. I wish you never had to experience that but i can rewind time. Keep writing.