Should Alcohol Be Banned? | Teen Ink

Should Alcohol Be Banned?

By 2coupelo BRONZE, DiCapriVille, Louisiana
2coupelo BRONZE, DiCapriVille, Louisiana

Alcohol situations are becoming an issue in America. It’s damaging people’s bodies, it’s unhealthy for people’s social life, accidents on the road happen, and affects families across the country. Alcohol should be banned again from the United States.

The 21st amendment states that alcohol is allowed in the United States. This, however, is causing many issues in our country. Alcohol can make a person act like a completely different person. It can cause aggressiveness, emotional feelings, or hallucinations. Alcohol does not always play the role of the enemy. Alcohol can be used for celebrations and other fun festivities, but when over used, people get out of control. Alcohol does not always have to be the life of the party.

I have seen what alcohol can do to a person. A family member of mine was an alcoholic for a while now and it has caused many problems in the family. Nobody wants to be around a person while intoxicated because it can lead to fights, unnecessary outbursts, and moodiness. When a drunken person is around, the environment almost feels gloomy and dead. It ends up in economic hardships, jealousy, and sometimes divorce. Some women drink while pregnant. This is an issue I find needs to be stopped. Drinking while pregnant can cause many birth defects to the offspring. The alcohol enters the bloodstream, crosses the placenta, and reaches the baby quickly. A baby cannot break down the alcohol as fast as the mother, resulting in the baby having more alcohol in its body than the mother. This increases the risk of a miscarriage and stillbirth. FASD (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders) can cause a fetus to have small brains, hearts, spine, and heads, and could delay development. There is no ‘how much is too much’. Alcohol and pregnancy do not mix at all.

As for drinking and driving, this has been an issue for many years. Innocent drivers are being killed on the roads due to drunk drivers. A car crash is responsible for a teen death every hour on an average weekend. Forty five percent of those crashes involve alcohol. Overall, crashes cause the deaths of thirty five percent of people aged sixteen to twenty. It is estimated that of that percentage, thirty one point one percent are due to alcohol involvement. Studies show that two in three people will be involved in a drunk crash in their life, victim or not.

Alcohol causes damage to the body in many different ways. It affects how the brain works and looks. Alcoholics are at risk of stroke, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, fibrosis, and cancer to different areas of the body such as mouth, esophagus, liver, breast, and throat. It can weaken the immune system making it easier to target for a disease. Alcoholism is not a habit anyone would want to be in, which is why it should be banned.