A Latent Addiction | Teen Ink

A Latent Addiction MAG

I have recently been diagnosed with an addiction - to coffee. And I am not alone. This is a problem among Americans of all ages. The coffee shop has become a social staple in our culture. Its enticing aroma, cozy and inviting atmosphere, and sophisticated-sounding menu are difficult to resist, especially if you struggle with an addiction like mine.

But, when you look past the leather couches and coffees named after European cities, all you’ll find is coffee, milk, and a little caramel sauce. Anyone can buy an espresso maker and a container of CoffeeMate and create the same drink that, say, Starbucks does, for a lot less. The only difference between your homemade coffee and Starbucks is that they put it in a cute cup and throw on some whipped cream to convince us that we are treating ourselves to a well-deserved respite from the rigors of everyday life. And we believe them, too, and buy into the idea that drinking their coffee improves our quality of life.

So, next time “white chocolate mocha” begins echoing in your mind, you’ll have to make a decision: will you continue to be one of the millions of brainwashed Americans who live for their next trip to Starbucks, or will you rise above it? My advice: dare to resist and just say no.

Giovanni_Zamora2020 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
this article is pretty good becuase i never new that coffee was addictive never really liked coffee

Hilalo said...
Hilalo, Beverly, New Jersey
I really enjoyed reading this, and I could relate this to my life. Reading your story opened my eyes, and I don't think I'm brainwashed on that topic, because I used to think that I treated myself when I bought that "good looking coffee."

cecyzmb1 said...
cecyzmb1,
Wow! such an eye opener as to how we can be addicted to pretty much everything. Of course, this all starts with a small dose of coffee and then you easily get addicted. WoW!

doggydoggy123,
cool story bruh, it's really touching.

AddictedCHED said...
AddictedCHED,
MAVS ZAMB ☺

18valdes4822 said...
18valdes4822,
helo from the other side

AddictedCHED said...
AddictedCHED,
This open my eyes to the serious problems that seem harmless. It is really alarming to read this article.

mavyz said...
mavyz,
I never knew there could be a serious addiction to coffee, your article was an eye opener on how society really does control us, even on what we like to drink. We are willing to pay such high amounts of money for a coffee just because it looks "cute". Stay strong Hannah!

Jack said...
I was really shocked about how coffee is similar to drug. I actually love coffee and everyday morning I always drink coffee. But now I should learn more about how coffee makes our body bad. But also I thought that anything is bad if you take too much. So the bes thing is to limit how much you take and eat more other food too.

If you want to buy real estate, you will have to receive the home loans. Moreover, my father always takes a sba loan, which supposes to be the most firm.

Kinners GOLD said...
Kinners GOLD, Haven City, California

"I'm a TEMP from CHISWICK!!"

-Donna

This is so true. Coffee is an actual drug, but people don't list it along with cocaine or heroin because it doesn't have such drastic side effects. If it becomes an addiction to a substance, like you just proved coffee can be, it's a drug.

MckennaS PLATINUM, Port St Lucie, Florida

"Me?
Well, I’m well.
Well, I mean I’m in hell.
Well, I still have my health
At least that’s what they tell me
If wellness is this, what in hell’s name is sickness?"

I feel a bit addicted to coffee sometimes, and indulge in Starbucks often, but I don't drink the 'frou frou' drinks such as lattes and frappacinos. I just drink coffee...so I actually make it at home a lot, too. And this is just my perception, but it seems like this article is more geared towards an addiction to Starbucks than it is to coffee. I don't mean to sound rude at all, and you can correct me if I'm wrong.

SunshineKarmaGirl, Weedsport, New York

If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say, Don't Say It At All

I loved reading this :) can you please check out my story You Know My Name Not My Story??? It would mean so much to me. Thanks (:

Little J said...
I totally agree. People just like to have everything everyone else has. Only difference is the price. Thats like a pair of rebok and jordans. Theyre both comforting shoes but Jordans are more popular so everyone tries to fit in.

MellyBelly said...
MellyBelly, Winnipeg, Other

Life is short but not too short so make the most out of it.

I totally agree with you on that one. Coffee can be addicting but it's not like it's such a bad thing. If you want to make it at home then go ahead. Some people like making stuff at home or just going out and having coffee someplace.

Solar BRONZE said...
Solar BRONZE, Braircliff Manor, New York
Well, I don't like coffe, but I don't think it's gross. It's (like all things) okay in small amounts.

Lindsey31 GOLD said...
Lindsey31 GOLD, Rockford, Minnesota

LIVE life ~ LAUGH always ~ LOVE lots

I've never liked coffee, and I guess I've never considered it an addiction. But everything can be an addiction if you let it be, really. I mean, video games, electronics - kids are getting hooked on them, scientists are saying. Society these days!

beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

My mom likes to say that coffee is the last legal drug in America. But I have to admit that the caffeine does wake you up in the morning. So are you in opposition to coffee itself and its effect on people, or the whole coffee industry preying on sleepy, gullible people who need coffee to continue on their fast paced, job competitive lives?

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

We don't drink coffee because of the caffeine or the fact it is a stimulant. We also dont drink alcohol because it can impair your judgement. Prescription drugs are ok as long as they are prescribed.

Jade said...

I was thinking the exact same thing so i looked it up..it is against their religion to drink anything HOT,and the time the book of mormons was written,coffee and tea were the majority of hot drinks,so,well,now you know

P.S it didnt really say why they cant,it said `hot drinks are not for the belly or body`,so..