Godzilla: A Franchise Made When the World Stood Still | Teen Ink

Godzilla: A Franchise Made When the World Stood Still

By BagelDelivery BRONZE, Saint Cloud, Florida
BagelDelivery BRONZE, Saint Cloud, Florida

"I know what you're thinking. There is a thin line between love and madness. Time will tell."
-The Voice (Furi)

Godzilla has to possibly be one of the most inspiring thing in my life. I've been watching the movies and consuming the other content surrounding it ever since I was in diapers. There is somthing so entertaining about watching a 50 meter tall, fire breathing, bidpedal, reptile kicking the absolute crap out of other genetic abominations while a orchestra of pure awe plays in the background.

However as a child I had only seen the surface of what Godzilla actually was. I saw it as nothing more than WWE with giant monsters but it was so much more than that. To understand the meta story of Godzilla you have to understand August 6th and August 9th, 1945.

WorldWar II had been going on for 6 years, about to be 7 years at the time. No end was in sight. The germans fell but the japanease where showing no signs of relenquishing and neither where the americans. People where talking in a bout as they usually do in the time of crisis. The citizens of hiroshima where not prepared for that fateful day, for the unholy fire that consumed families. The moment those 2 bombs dropped the world stopped. Even the americans back at home could not fathom such destruction. Oppenheimer vocalized this in his famous quote: "We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another."

After the war ended Japan was left in ruins. The bomb not only destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki but the hopes and dreams of many japanease citizens. But somewhere in the mist of agony an idea sparked in the head of a man by the name of Tomoyuki Tanaka. He wanted to make a monster movie. He wanted to create the living personification of the atomic bombs that desomated his country only just a few years ago. He wanted to show the world the horror that Japan faced in the form of Godzilla: King of the Monsters. 

The movie had a budget roughly around $175,000. Despite Tanaka had made a few good movies before that the project still faced many issues. The biggest one issue being the time crunch and the fact the Godzilla suit was so hot the actor inside practically sweat gallons. Despite the hard trials, Tanaka pushed through and made arguably the greatest monster movie of all time. 

This story is great for a lot of reasons but what makes it still relivant is this: Japan had faced the most brutal assault in history and managed to make some good come out of it. Godzilla is a cherished icon of japanease culture and still is pumping quality films such as Shin Godzilla (2017) which reflected the political issues that faced Japan surrounding its government and how vulnerable it is. The lesson I believe we should take from this is that despite the chaos we face today not only can we still make good out of it to spread joy or meaningful messages but we shouldn't let that chaos stop us.