The Difference Between Feminism and Women Are Superior to Men | Teen Ink

The Difference Between Feminism and Women Are Superior to Men

Throughout my observation of feminism, I have realized that some people, even celebrities don't understand the meaning of it. So, to clear thing up, this is the definition of feminism: the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes. Keyword: EQUALITY. Some men hate feminists because the "feminists" are abusing that title. And there ARE men who are feminists which is great! I am a feminist. I believe in equal pay, rights, and there isn't a job that can have one sex and not the other. 

Some "crazy feminist" just confuses the idea of it. They sometimes believe that women are superior to men. Like...no. That's NOT what feminism means. 

For an example from a celebrity; Brie Larson. Sometimes hated, sometimes loved, Captain Marvel. In my opinion, I don't hate her. This is not what this article is about. Some examples of her behavior of "extreme feminism" is her speech about how the film A Wrinkle In Time was not made for white men. First off, A Wrinkle In Time bombed at the box office and I couldn't even get through the first 3o minutes of it. Larson stated, “I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time,”. 

Later in the speech, Brie said that she didn't hate white men. But she has gone off to say that she wishes there were fewer men in movies. Like, what? She has also stated that white men, in particular, can't be feminists and that Captain Marvel was not made for men. That it was supposed to be a special movie mainly for women. That just doesn't make sense.

In 2018, Black Panther, another huge Marvel movie, crushed the box office. This movie made colored people feel accepted and apart of something. The movie was made for EVERYONE, not just for colored people. That would be racist. The director of Black Panther had even said that he was happy that young colored boys/men are inspired by the story, but it was made for everyone. 

And trust me, most men loved Captain Marvel, and some didn't because they felt that the movie was weakening the men to make the women feel more powerful. That's their opinion. But, after weeks of being in theaters, Captain Marvel had gone from 78% to 28% by critics. 

With Endgame still in theaters, I have seen it so many times. I had gone to see it Thursday night, the day before it was supposed to come out. It was the most exciting experiences of my life. People cheered and laughed and cried together. 

WARNING SPOILERS FOR ENDGAME:

In a specific part of the movie, most of the men in the theater cheered. What the Avengers brought everyone back and teamed up with them to defeat Thanos, Peter Parker played by Tom Holland held the Infinity Gauntlet and need help. So, with the help from the rest of the females (except Black Widow) from the MCU, they went up against Thanos for a few minutes with the men. Many men cheered for the powerful women of the MCU.

So, men can be feminists, even though they are male. It doesn't matter. Believe what you want to believe. Feminism is equality, not being superior to the other gender.