Twilight's Influence | Teen Ink

Twilight's Influence

January 10, 2010
By basktbalfreak247 SILVER, Houston, Texas
basktbalfreak247 SILVER, Houston, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Last year, the book Twilight sold over twenty two million copies. The romance between a vampire and a mortal girl caught they eyes of teenage girls everywhere, but what kind of role did this play in society and how did it affect its readers?
The book focuses on the love between two characters, Edward and Bella. Edward’s “sense of honor, chivalry, composure, and self- control” is what attracts Bella and most girls who have read Twilight to him (Mann). His bold features have made him become the fixation of teenage girls everywhere. The only problem with this is that some girls are becoming too engrossed in him, so much so that they are dreaming about him, pretending to talk to him and even planning their future weddings with him. Most of the time the relationships they are pretending to have with this star affects their social skills and their “other relationships in their lives” (examinar.com).
Most girls adore guys that are muscular, attractive, intellectual, and somewhat dangerous or on the wild side and that’s what girls find so striking about Edward. Once girls figure out qualities in a guy that attract them, they start to look for them in different guys. Some girls have watched how Edward acts in the movie and are now looking for qualities that Edward shows. This can be a problem though because some qualities that Edward portrays are not so appealing. He is somewhat abusive to Bella when he gets a temper because of his great amount of strength, this could lead to girls potentially “seek[ing] out abusive mates” (examinar.com).

Some teens on the other hand agree that Twilight has positively influenced their life. They believe it has had a positive influence on their reading skills and their wanting to read. Some say that Twilight has great morals and that their kids love the books so much that they are reading them over and over. In one blog, supportive mom comments, “I see how these books have POSITIVELY influenced my female/ male students as well. Let the kids live and dream a bit” (Examinar.com).

The problem with the kids reading Twilight is that since they love the book so much they want to read the whole series and in the fourth book, Breaking Dawn, there is a lot of immoral conduct. Some kids are mature enough to know what is right and wrong, but the majority of the kids who will read this series and have read this series don’t realize what kinds of consequences the things Edward and Bella do can have on us in the real world. The fact that the kids enjoy reading the books over and over doesn’t help either because most of these kids aren’t thinking about the aftermath effects of some of the things Edward and Bella do together, like running away from her father’s house or being sexually involved with each other before marriage. It is the parents job to tell the kids what is right and wrong and without the parents help, kids will not get the proper instruction on what is wrong and what is right.

Immorality is a big part of these books and its influence on children can be extremely awful if parents don’t tell them what they need to learn. I think it is pretty clear that Twilight has had more of a negative influence on society than a positive one.