When I Grow Up | Teen Ink

When I Grow Up

By mikaylamissme BRONZE, Lakewood, Ohio
mikaylamissme BRONZE, Lakewood, Ohio

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about dancing in the rain :)"

"When I grow up, I wanna be famous, I wanna be a star, I wanna be in movies. When I grow up, I wanna see the world, drive nice cars, I wanna have groupies.."

These simple phrases are from the all to well-known song "When I Grow Up" by the Pussycat Dolls. So what is fame? Is it just a fancy term thrown around to put a perfect tone on our power obsessed idols? Is it a state of mind that everyone has tapped into? What is fame?

Fame (n.) - the state or quality of being widely honored and acclaimed.

Everyone wants it, you can't deny it at least for one second you wished you were that superstar on the silver screen everyone wanted to be. Or that model who could strut down the runway with elegance and grace. So, what is fame?

Fame is a business where the clients set standards for the rest of the world. Every time we see a star all dolled up on a red carpet we think, "Wow she's gorgeous why can't I look like her?"

People do crazy things for fame, we see it everyday even if you don't realize it's happening. What about balloon boy? Or the "Leave Brittany alone videos" Take for example Justin Beiber. YouTube and breaking news has become a gateway to the road to fame, anyone can become famous now. You don't need talent you need the looks.

So, what is fame? Fame is a state of mind that can screw up your thinking. It can act like alcohol. It's tempting to take some especially when everyone else is doing it, you might take a sip and like the feel for it, so you take another. Soon the whole bottle is gone and your on to the next, until you lose your senses. Everything looks a little lighter and a little brighter. Fame is alcohol. We become addicted soon enough to reach that ultimate feeling of acceptance.

So, what is fame? Fame is the state or quality of being widely honored and acclaimed, if you want to go by the definition anyway. But what is fame? I said it can be seen as a business, a state of mind, or just as addicting as alcohol, it can be a getaway for some, and a sense of approval for others. Well, what is fame? Fame is everything we cannot be and once your famous, well they still ask for more, don't they?

What is fame? It's up for you to decide.

ChickenLegHouse BRONZE, Brighton, Michigan
I agree and disagree. For one thing you made it sound as though all "famous" people are talentless and just doing what they do to get attention. Alot of them seem to be like that but not all. Your artical  was writen really well, though.

Evan S. said...
Thanks for the comment on my page, I appreciate it! I had no idea I was on Teen Ink until recently haha. Anyways, really good job with the writing! I enjoyed your extended comparison of fame and alchohol; Really well thought out.

Stephanie M. said...
hey, i really like this.

i might join teen ink

so i was looking at articles

and i like the rhetorical questions

you put out there and you have some

great points! 4 stars