Smiley Miley | Teen Ink

Smiley Miley

By Tricia Velasquez BRONZE, San Francisco, California
Tricia Velasquez BRONZE, San Francisco, California

Every time Miley Cyrus attempts to grow up, a puppy dies, the tabloids hit, and some innocent, well rounded girl gets a new idea on how she can be just like her favorite pop star.

Being raised as a Disney child star, Miley has acquired that unwanted bubble of “Innocent Young One,” so breaking out of that will, of course, be hard.

Pretty much the whole world was up in arms when Miley Cyrus and her one-hit-wonder father, Billy Ray Cyrus appeared in an issue of Vanity Fair. (Aside: Billy Ray is sorta-kinda famous for his country song “Achy Break y Heart.” Still don’t know who he is? Don’t worry. Neither do I.) A picture of young Miley was featured in the magazine, which displayed her naked back to the camera, and her holding a blanket to her bare chest. Her red lipstick was smudged. Sexy.

But it hardly falls between the lines of “Disney Channel Appropriate.” She did issue a statement that she was “embarrassed” of the photo. Um, I hate to be so cynical, but sure you are, Miley. Sure you are.

Parents were very offended that a celebrity was posing semi-nude (which, you know, has never, ever been seen before because no one’s heard of Lady GaGa who happens to walk around with no pants on.)

There was also the Nick Jonas Scandal where she took photos of herself in her green underwear to send them to then-boyfriend, Nick Jonas. (Aside: Nick is the youngest brother of the band, The Jonas Brothers.) The pictures were leak, and it became a less explicit version of the Vanessa Hudgens Scandal (Aside: Vanessa Anne Hudgens is another Disney star, best known for her role in High School Musical. She took nudes of herself to send to boyfriend and co-star, Zac Efron. They were leaked. I wonder how) except it caused a greater uproar. Oh-no! Miley was growing up! I’d really wished she’d stay 12 of the rest of her life. Seriously. Maybe America needs to grow up.

As she gets older, her music changes too. From her first song, “Best of Both Worlds” which pretty much talks about the benefits of being a normal teen by day, rushing into a phone booth like Super Man and becoming a celebrity by night, busting out horrific tunes, to the more recent “Party in the U.S.A,” where she--gasp!--says the word “sex.” People have to realize that Miss Cyrus can’t be a kid forever, no matter how much they dislike it.

She’s trying (badly) to branch out, taking a role in the movie The Last Song, which doesn’t portray her as annoyingly perky Miley Stuart or Hannah Montana. Of course, despite bad acting and a totally horrible plot, the movie’ll rake in millions, simply because she shows her scrunchy little face. Good thing they added Miley to the suck-fest! Now that will guarantee them a profit.

Now, I’m not trying to hate on poor Miley. She’s a decent(ish) singer, and although her dancing and acting both--for lack of a better word--blow, she knows how to create a scene. She already has a lot of girls in her back pocket; to get the guys, all she needs to do is another pole dance at an award show.

Fate98 GOLD said...
Fate98 GOLD, Glasgow, Other

"Life isn’t about how popular you are… What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts.. and our minds. This is the reason we sing.. this is the reason we cry… this is why we live." - Andy six"

yup i agree. I think people forget that Miss Birteny Spears, Christina aguilera and Pink were all part of the Micky Mouse Club once upon a time. Did the world slam them when they spiced their acts up?( this doesn't mean i love Mileys music, i just don't think she should get the hate that she does)

on Jun. 3 2010 at 9:31 am
Yeah, sorry guys. I didn't realize it until after I had posted it on here.

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

the line was "welcome to the land of fame and SUCCESS", but most people hear it as sex.....

FunXsize3 BRONZE, Honey Brook, Pennsylvania

"Life is like a box of choclates"

yeah I did'nt see "sex" in the lyrics.... I think since she's a huge role model for kids that she should'nt do that kind of stuff... but you can't be 12 forever

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

She never said sex in the song "Party in the USA", check the lyrics. And I'm confused, you seem to be bashing her, but then you seem to bashing everyone else who don't like her anymore because she's growing up and into a slut. Not just growing up. What's your deal?

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

This is a bit harsh, but it's true. People either think that Miley is horribly scandalous (where were you when- well, any time Britney Spears was mentioned) or that she's an innocent bundle of fun (where were you at The Great Pole Dancing Incident). She's just a normal, fairly annoying girl who happens to be outrageously famous. This is a fantastic article.

Celair_Phoenix SILVER, Hue, Other

"All that glitters is not gold
Not all those who wanders are lost."

cynical-but I agree.