I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

April 2, 2010
By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen


Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?



I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 471 comments.


Emerald_love said...
on Sep. 1 2011 at 7:31 pm
Well I agree with this article. She is taking things over the top... 

on Sep. 1 2011 at 4:35 pm
sammyjanee GOLD, Plantsville, Connecticut
12 articles 1 photo 15 comments
Regardless of how I feel about Lady Gaga, I think this article was really, really good.  It's easy to see you did research and backed up your points.  It was refreshing to hear someone give a good reason to dislike her besides her being "weird"... I agree with everything you've said.

on Sep. 1 2011 at 3:15 pm
Olivia.297 BRONZE, Orillia, Other
1 article 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
Ever notice how you never see me and superman at the same time?

I disagree with most of this article , but you prove a very good point, and this was really well written :) good work

on Sep. 1 2011 at 2:19 pm
iW0ntRunThisTime BRONZE, Paris, Other
2 articles 4 photos 19 comments

Okay, can I just get my opinion on the subject out before I talk about the writing? I can't help myself. So, I really didn't enjoy reading this because of the voice. The "blasphemy alert" thing? Oh, come on, it's no different to any of the other teenagers out there telling themselves they're special, they know something most people don't, they haven't been "brainwashed". And then trying to rationalize why you don't like her, when the real reason is everyone does. If you're implying people think you're blasphemous for not liking her, see how many people agree with you below.

That was very biased and I expect someone to lash back, but, anyway. This was so well written! The last line was a really great note to go out on - I think it was a solid structure and you got your point out really well, and only in 4 paragraphs!


CSHCSH GOLD said...
on Sep. 1 2011 at 4:22 am
CSHCSH GOLD, Jakarta, Other
16 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everybody tries to change the world, but nobody tries to change themselves
-Leo Tolstoy

I definetely agree.

soldout said...
on Aug. 30 2011 at 7:28 pm

lol ;)

I don't know, to be honest. I guess jersey shore is fame-fueled too and these days fame-fuelers grab more peoples attention then the "Unpopular" talented ones


blacksteve said...
on Aug. 30 2011 at 1:58 pm
Face it the mindless sheep of this country will buy anything, believe anything as long as it's marketed on MTV. Why do u think so many people like jersey shore?

on Aug. 23 2011 at 1:49 am
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other
41 articles 0 photos 650 comments

Favorite Quote:
‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

Lady Gaga can sing. Go watch her live. She can sing and she sings better with her piano. She is just being true to her and doing what is fun for her. She is an entertainer, not a Barbie doll so don't expect her to be oh-so goody-goody. And if people are intelligent, they will know this. And if children are intelligent, they will choose who they will imitate. It's not Gaga's fault if they imitate her or not.

on Aug. 23 2011 at 1:45 am
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other
41 articles 0 photos 650 comments

Favorite Quote:
‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I may not be her number one fan but I love, love, love Lady Gaga. She is simply true to herself and she sings about what she likes to sing. She is just being true and she says it's good to be different, not weird. She wears "weird" outfit because it what she likes. That's all. Thank you.

on Aug. 17 2011 at 8:22 am
andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
8 articles 0 photos 174 comments
honestly if everyone wrote an article about what celebrity they didn't like and why this website would be very boring for alot of pple. Get over it. Good artcile horible subject

pink pompom said...
on Aug. 15 2011 at 4:37 pm
NOT what i meant.... ah well...:(

jemi said...
on Aug. 14 2011 at 10:12 pm
I sure would say them to her if I had the opportunity. I really think she is very sad.

Haley141516 said...
on Aug. 14 2011 at 2:35 am
Well not to be rude or anything, but who are you to say if someone can't sing! In my honest opinion i think she can sing, i really don't like gaga to much but seriously dont be rude. Also it's not her fault if children watch it, it's the parents fault they should be watching their children. And i bet you wouldnt have the guts to say all they rude and hurtful words in your post to Gaga herself, now would you i didnt think so. Well GOOD-DAY MISS!

on Aug. 12 2011 at 8:32 pm
FatesMistake13, Springerville, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 157 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes." Oscar Wilde

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame."

I've just gotta say saying you hope someones carreer is ruined and that when she dies she'll finally see she's wrong or whatever isnt very christian. Maybe you should realize that God, if the beliefs are true, wants you to love and help people and not wish bad things onto them. Sooo yeah, think of what you just said

Lizette SILVER said...
on Aug. 12 2011 at 7:32 pm
Lizette SILVER, Delphos, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid. But some people abuse the privlidge!

I agree with what you wrote.  But also, good job on the writing!  It was very persuasive!

jemi said...
on Aug. 12 2011 at 11:56 am
I am not a teenager but I totally think that Lady Gaga is the most horrible role model out there today. She needs to put some clothes on, get up off the floor, learn to sing and start thinking about all the young ones that are watching her. What message is she sending to those kids ?How sleezy, think of only yourself folks, dress up like a freak  to get attention. How about being your true self not some phony piece of meat. Most of all the woman or whatever she is CAN'T SING!!!!!!. Loved you article keep up your writing you are on very intelligent girl.

soldout said...
on Aug. 11 2011 at 3:55 pm
OK, seriously. The Public. reply if u totally agree with this article. These days the fame and fortune are getting into the heads of celebs and turning them into aliens just to be accepted. But its nobody's benefit. And our social beliefs are getting screwed up. Someone tell me they get it!

on Aug. 11 2011 at 12:03 am
redhairCat PLATINUM, Pebble Beach, California
47 articles 20 photos 411 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I can do anything!"

I'm not getting hysterical over her music themes, if that's what you mean!

pink pompom said...
on Aug. 10 2011 at 9:21 pm
sorry, jose4jesus, swear i wasnt tryna tick you off! im not really an all-out "fan-girl"... not as in , "she can do no wrong." i just thought we should try and remain semi-civil...=D  GO, freedom of (polite) speech!!

on Aug. 10 2011 at 8:38 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

:D Yah love yourselves people!