Why Do We Have Celebrities? | Teen Ink

Why Do We Have Celebrities?

September 27, 2010
By MadisonReneeJane GOLD, Norman, Oklahoma
MadisonReneeJane GOLD, Norman, Oklahoma
12 articles 5 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy. - Jim Rohn


Why do we have “celebrities” and tabloids? Why do we have Entertainment Tonight or TMZ? Why must we follow and record the life of someone who is just trying to bring us entertainment through their work, not their life. What actors and actresses do is bring stories to life through movies and television, and that entertains us. What musicians do is develop new music to share with the world that expresses them, and that entertains us. So why do we just have to poke into their private lives? We have all the entertainment we need!
Sure, it is kind of amusing to see Lindsay Lohan being escorted to prison and it is kind of irritating to see her get out less than a week later, but what if it was you who screwed up like that? Think about it: Your face being plastered all over the news and magazine stands. You knowing all across the world people are sharing their opinions about your mistake, something that would’ve been mostly private if you weren’t famous. Why do we just love to idolize or dispise people we haven’t even met.
We can’t totally wipe out the whole celebrity entertainment thing, but we can not support it any longer. When you see a newsstand with Ashton Kutcher’s face and the big, bold words: “Secret Lover” under him, you should turn the other cheek.