What About K-Pop? | Teen Ink

What About K-Pop?

By melancholyflame GOLD, Hacienda Heights, California
melancholyflame GOLD, Hacienda Heights, California

"We should enjoy each moment of our existence, because everyday is the first day of the rest of our lives." --Melanie Y.

People often judge me for my taste in music, questioning why I don’t listen to what “other people” like.

K-pop is a genre of music that continues to be falsely judged.

Even though there are a wide variety of K-pop songs that appeal to a universal audience, many people continue to judge the entire genre of music by one or two songs. People need to realize that K-pop is a genre of music that deserves as much of a chance as rap or country does because of its lasting imprints on society.

For instance, Korean boy band Super Junior released “LaLaLaLa (Be My Girl)” from the 2011 music album Mr. Simple. The song received negative reviews from several fans, with many complaining that their lyrics are “ridiculous” for its shallow message. Once other people heard about this song’s “terrible lyrics,” most assumed that all K-pop is similar to this unimpressive song.

Basically, the public will judge the songs by its first impressions, and if they are negative, it will end up believing K-pop is not worth listening to.

Fortunately, there are always songs that stand out. It is impossible for different genres of music to not have any songs that are awful, but K-pop definitely includes many great songs that can hold a wide appeal.

For one, some songs make insightful comments on society.

Take “Gangnam Style,” for example. Nearly everybody is familiar with PSY’s “Gangnam Style.” Although the song’s beat and music video make the song seem superficial, PSY is really introducing a satire of the typical coldly formal look usually associated with guys from the richest district in Seoul, Gangnam. In his lyrics, PSY mocks them for their lives of luxury and their inability to function in life “normally.”

Then there is the dance that goes with Gangnam Style; the horseback riding portion of the dance is related to one of the lyrics, “Let’s ride a horse,” which is a Korean expression meaning to let go of worries, drink and relax. As such, the song clearly depicts and criticizes the extravagant, wasteful lifestyle of Gangnam’s inhabitants.

There are also less popular songs that are just as meaningful.

G-Dragon’s “Coup D'état” expresses his personal feeling of solitude and depression in the music industry. By definition, “Coup d'état” means “an abrupt and decisive action resulting in a switching of the government unlawfully or by force.” Therefore, the title of the song is symbolic as G-Dragon felt suppressed by the music industry, the “government,” so he decided to write "Coup D'état" to illustrate to his fans that he was breaking free of his captivity through the song.

In addition, there are critics who say that they dislike K-pop not because of the music, but because of the passionate fans that go to great lengths to show their support for their favorite groups. Many people complain about these devotees, but they don’t quite take into account that American musicians have similar types of fans. After all, there are just as many, if not more, of Justin Bieber fans (Beliebers) and One Direction fans (Directioners) who are willing to self-harm to prove their love.

Of course, each one of us has our own music preferences, and K-pop should never be forced on anybody. It is hard to understand why people would judge the book by its cover, or the genre by one song. No one has to like it. What anyone has to do is one simple action: give K-pop a chance.

Anyone can love K-pop, after all. (:

Irene Payad said...
Irene Payad,
Thanks for the information I appreciate it.. Btw.. EXO-L here!!

lizziexo BRONZE, Caen, Other

You've got to do the opposite of what people expect! How else do you want to surprise them?
-Victor Nikiforov from the anime Yuri On Ice

Any ARMYs here?

sonia shaju said...
ur article is awesome,even i listen to k-pop being an indian n often ppl used to ask me too why am i listening to songs of other languages,bt i guess we shuld ignore them n keep supporting k-pop.FIGHTING!!!!