A Negative Influence | Teen Ink

A Negative Influence

January 31, 2009
By Zachary Wisham BRONZE, Denver, North Carolina
Zachary Wisham BRONZE, Denver, North Carolina
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Glamorization of Hollywood has a negative toll on both celebrities and the ordinary citizens of America. From shooting a movie to winning the covenant Oscar there are many stresses in a celebrities life (except getting papered at every whim). One might agree that after reading the latest issue of 'Peoples Magazine' that the stars of Hollywood are over expressed in the appalling collage of what America looks up to. For every 'well-behaved, fun loving, violence abstaining' star there are at least three counter-parts. Lindsey Lohan at twenty has been in rehabilitation twice; Jamie Lynn Spears has already given birth at sixteen, and at twenty- six Paris Hilton is behind bars. What kind of message does this send to the younger generation of America or needless to say, the whole world. It is what some might refer to as 'the good life'. Why must a 'good life' be full of booze, going to jail and making a substandard statement?

As America turns on the television to the news channels, there are many journalists that are always talking about Hollywood. Every action a celebrity makes is broadcasted to the wide world, good or bad. If an ordinary citizen that goes to work, cooks their own meals, and even rubs their own feet, were to kiss someone not a single soul would know about most likely. But if a panjandrum where to kiss another person it would make headline news. What kind of influence does this have on a six year old? Quite frankly, it influences them to start negative habits from a younger age. This lucid media informs the younger generation that it IS okay to go and get pregnant at the age of sixteen, and go illegally drink under the age of twenty-one. As the younger generation grows into their teen years all of this news will agglomerate into their minds, molding a series of teens that will indeed be a negative influence. This is an alarming subject that needs to be altered, fast.

According to Audrey Tautou, 'In France, we have a law which doesn't allow the press to publish a photo that you didn't approve. It lets the paparazzi take the picture, but if they publish this picture, you have the choice to sue the newspaper. So me, I always sued them.' This law would be a superlative way to reduce the influence of Hollywood. Unfortunately, it would contradict our first amendment right of the 'Freedom of Press'. It is that very concept that allows America to be influenced by actions of others but yet is a way to teach people about others.

There are many things that influence people: The news, parents, and other things that people look up to. Why not take a stride to make America a less influential country? It would be worth the while and it is our younger generation that will be controlling our 'Land of the Free' when we grow older. So turn off the television and the other sources of negative influence and try to sculpt a more perfect society.