My Problem with Bratz Dolls | Teen Ink

My Problem with Bratz Dolls

By ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri
ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri

Anything that can be done, can be undone. ~Scarlet City
http://eepurl.com/dcyZMn

My parents never permitted me to play with the Bratz brand dolls as a young child. They explained it to me when ever I wanted one, or received one as a gift. Besides being a bit unproportional, there was nothing wrong with the doll itself. It was the brand name. They, and now I, did not want to support a product that encourages young girls to be a brat.

If you search synonyms for ‘brat’ on the internet you get things like “unpleasant child” “little monster” “little horror”. Why would anyone want to meet a child who is proud to associate themselves with a brand called ‘little horrorz?’ But what most appalls me is their new slogan, “It’s good to be a Bratz.”

No! No one should ever think that it is good to be a brat, unless you want to be associated with a little monster. No parent should ever encourage their child to be a brat… it’s because of brats that young girls are getting bullied. The word brat is used to describe a spoiled child that has horrible manners and no one wants to be around. I know that I don’t want my kids to end up like that.

So, I won’t permit my future kids to play with Bratz dolls and support this brand. What do you all think?

Lucy-Agnes PLATINUM, Clarksville, Ohio

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity. Be fools for Christ. And have the courage to suffer the contempt of the sophisticated world." - Justice Antonin Scalia

I agree! Bratz is a really silly name for a brand of dolls. What we need is to encourage our little girls to be angels and dears, not brats. (My mom was also disturbed by the way the dolls looked. Kinda creepy or immodest or something.):)