Ways Your Unattainable Crush Makes You a Better Person | Teen Ink

Ways Your Unattainable Crush Makes You a Better Person MAG

May 28, 2021
By Sakshi_Sneha BRONZE, Patna, Other
Sakshi_Sneha BRONZE, Patna, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Not to sound cliche, but be the best version of yourself! Trust me it just makes you experience things around you in a whole another level of awesome.


Just to make things clear, we are not going to talk about your celebrity crush (way too unattainable and beyond the scope of this article). The one we are going to talk about here is The One — The One we shower with instant replies on Instagram, The One from whom a single glance gives us butterflies and makes wedding bells ring in your ear.

But unfortunately, they are also The One who never gives you attention or is a pro at sending mixed signals. Yes! I know you are thinking about them now, too. But stop, guys! I know all of us must have thought a million times that we have to leave them, and trust me —it’s the best decision. Let me help you reflect on the reasons why losing your crush isn't always a losing situation.

1. They help us step-up our hygiene game

Sometimes we become too comfortable with our baggy clothes and slouchy body posture. Enter, the crush, and BAM! We are tempted to push our limits and explore our inner Rachel Green, just like Taylor Swift did in “You Belong With Me.”

(This doesn't mean you have to dress provocatively!)

2. They help us get interested in astrology, making us more spiritual

Please tell me that I am not the only one who checks their crush's horoscope … or who prays for the never-ending love of their crush every time they are in front of a God.

(Hmmm … I'm a Gemini, he's an Aries. Are we soulmates or enemies?)

3. They make us a more patient person

From waiting for their replies (and cringing because we double-texted them) to controlling ourselves from liking their six-year-old pictures (or in some cases, waiting for them to like us back) our patience seems like the only friend who's gonna hold our hand through this!

4. They make us appreciate song lyrics

"I have died every day waiting for you. I have loved you for a thousand years, I'll love you for a thousand more.” Yeah, I actually will — please fall in love with me, you think. Or, "We don't talk anymore, like we used to do." Yeah, because I can't lower my self-esteem any further, you sigh.

No matter what plays on the car radio, we just learn to appreciate and feel the lyrics so much more!

5. They teach us the art of letting go

It's one of the most difficult, yet important, things to learn from your crush.

It's really hard to leave someone who wasn't holding onto you or who won't even grieve your departure. But trust me on this, they are exactly the kind of people we should leave.

Stop investing, pack up your bag of emotions, and walk out as gracefully as a model walks on the runway. (Imagine Gigi Hadid walking in those knee-high boots.)

"Loving you [wasn't] a losing game,” because I got my lessons.


The author's comments:

We all go through crushes and sometimes when we have to leave them, our world comes crashing down. 

Maybe it won't sound so bad if we tried to focus on the lessons they teach us and the beautiful butterfly experience they give. 

Plus don't dim your shine for someone else! Its not that bad to have an unattainable crush. I swear.