I Love You | Teen Ink

I Love You

By walkingXonXclouds SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
walkingXonXclouds SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky

It takes two to tango, but no one ever forces you to dance

I love you.

It’s said all the time. But do people really mean it? Do they know the difference between true love and just a fling?

My best friend had her first boyfriend this year and about three or four months into the relationship, they started saying I love you. The sad thing is, is that they never kissed. Every time she would say I love you, I wanted to ask her, “Do you really?”

I don’t think that you truly love someone until your willing to give up anything and everything to be with them. I love you is meant to be forever, not just a few months or a year.

The saddest part about this is that “I love you” is both overused, and not said enough. For the people who really need to hear it, it’s not heard. But for the people that say it just to say it, you hear it all the time.

Love is a powerful word; it can either break your heart, or complete it. Don’t say “I love you” unless you truly mean it. Everyone will find their true love one day - or at least, that’s what I like to believe - because it’s not just in fairy tales.

ShelbyMarie93 PLATINUM, Lexington, Nebraska

"When Death to either shall come -- I pray it be first to me." ~Robert Bridges
or
"Life is not a jump; it's a headfirst dive."
or
"Within you I lose myself; without you I find myself wanting to be lost again."

╔══╗
╚╗╔╝
╔╝(¯`v´¯)
╚══`.¸.Isaac H.

I totally agree with ilovveyou !: you can love someone without kissing them, holding their hand, hugging them...it's just that those things make it better. But I do agree with what you said about it "can either break your heart, or complete it." Good words. :)

Keep writing your talent is amazing. :)

you don't have to kiss somebody to love them

you love them because you want to

writerssoul said...
writerssoul, One, Delaware
Totally true and well written. Was thought provoking. I agree completly "I love you" is overused and underused. Love your writing.

roadrunner BRONZE, Freeport, Maine

The Bad beginning.

You are right. 'I love you" is a commitment phrase and its a quite powerful one too. I think one of the reasons its used so much is that this phrase is what is expected and a person will say it for that reason instead of  meaning it truly.

TerryBerry15 BRONZE, Hammond, Louisiana
1 article 1 photo 3 comments

Live,Laugh,Love,-& Learn frm your mistakes.,!

I feel the same way.,I know what your talking about because people tell me they love me all the time but do they really mean it.,!!!!I LOVE YOU IS TOTALLY "OVERUSED"!

Signed:MZ.TERRY1

godtimer55 said...
This is a true fact love is a strong word ,and yes it is overused ,and not said enough mainly by friends, or ex-friends I love this opinion you have!!! 

Tatyana DIAMOND, Colorado, Colorado
i love  this

bea =] said...

thanks =]

susu.ali BRONZE, Minneapolis, Minnesota
huh.. thats interesting, I never really thought about not saying "i love you" to the people who really need to hear it, or deserve it more I guess. I know I definetly don't say i love you enough.

aylinnnz GOLD said...
aylinnnz GOLD, Bronx, New York

"Maybe no one's really crazy. Everyone is just a little bit mad. How much depends on where you fall in the spectrum. How much depends on how lucky you are." - Joshua Walters

GuuD words,

bea =] said...
I agree with the fact that people overuse the word or dont say it enough..However i would find  it more meaningful if you could be with someone and not have to be physical..that shows that the guy is really there for the right reasons. Its possible to love someone with out being IN love with them...(as weird as that sounds =])

mlm1992 GOLD said...
mlm1992 GOLD, Brownwood, Texas

Do let anything bring you down, all you have to do is forget about it and move on with life

I agree with you on this. You have to mean it if not the girls heart is going to brake into little tiny pieces.

beebzl said...
beebzl, Raymond, Washington
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Life's a trail... get over it.

I 100% agree the word is both used too much and not said enough...

mdavenport said...
I totally agree with you. I feel like that i will give anything to my boyfriend for him to be by my side. 

Dawn Fanning BRONZE, BM, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
your right the word love is over used but i do have to say that you can love someone and not kiss them, kissing them does not mean you love them! but nicely written!!

love2ride said...
I think all of u have such a good point in this beacuse their are a lot of pepeol who tend to say things they realy dont mean its just a word that comes out..

Tabitha Greer SILVER, Garfield, Kentucky
Well...I mean yes I believe that teens can be in love but in my opinion true love never last. That is one of my favorite quotes of all time. Yeah. I believe that true love is meant for life but some teens over use the words "I love you." Which is really stupid in my opinion. Also in my opinion, don't believe in fairytales. They don't exist...

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

"The reason for your unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason that I have reason to complain of your reason" ~ Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

With longer comments it tends to happen.  Seen in plenty of times.  And for the record, I'm in exactly the same situation as you, and it feels great

figureitout said...
figureitout, Dorchester, New Jersey

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.So love the people who treat you right, forget the ones that dont.Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it'd be worth it.

i agree completely. but i dont believe in forever. forever is only in fairytales. and, obviously, im not a fairytale princess and i definitely haven't found my prince charming. i dont believe in fairytales.

hiddenpoet SILVER, East Meredith, New York

Just live like you live it already.

I agree with you completely. I am only 13 but I know the difference between love and like. I feel where you're coming from. I've felt love before with one person. I loved her, I mean really loved her. She said she loved me but that was all bull. =(