Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

vera57 said...
Teenage love, MMM, id have to say it exists  i remember watching a movie or show i dont really remember what its called but it was abt an adult actuauly wanting the feel of having a teenage love.. "YOUNG LOVE".. everyone is always wanting it katty peryy "teenage dream" is a perfect example..

qwerty said...
"No way, kids don't know what true love is..." I do nottt agree with this, because everyone has different feelings and different outlooks on what "love" really is...

love09 said...
i totally agree with this, i am also one that is in love but still in high school, i love my boyfriend so very much and i know will we will be able to last, also my parents are also high school sweethearts and they have been married for like 32 years and they are still going strong, my sister is also been married for 14 years with her high school sweetheart and they really love eachother very much. so i strongly believe in love when you are a teenager. :)

krizzy said...
I also believe in teenage love, i know of a few couples who are still together after highschool. There are no age limits on love. It just happens.

soo this is deff intresting i like it.

jessenielsen BRONZE, Candler, North Carolina

"other men said they have seen angels, but i have seen thee, and thou art enough"- g. moore

meredith, you are leaving out a very vital part in your "theory" on teenage love. you forget to inform your readers that there are many different types of love, no one can deny that! i think the kind of love we are talking about though is romantic. romantic love is expeirenced in levels. you dont love someone that the just met, you grow to love them. most high school relationships end before that level of love that keeps people together. how do you know when its true love? when it never ends, thats true love. love without doubt is felt in highschool, the only question is... at what level???

Wild_Rebel_Rose DIAMOND, Somerset, Wisconsin

Be who you are, and say what you feel, becuase those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

I believe in love. No matter what.

I fell in love on October 17th 2009. I knew it was attraction the first second i felt it, but i didn't know it was love. But it was!!!

After a week of knowing eachother, we were talking every day and within two weeks we were dating. Actually the first week of knowing eachother, we told eachother we wanted to get married. it sounds insane but it was legit.

He gave me a promise ring three months after we started dating, and he told me he would never leave me. Every single day he tells me he loves me, and I believe it. We're so much more in love now than we were before, and it grows every day. 

We'll be dating for a year on November 7th... and we're engaged. The wedding is planned for early summer of 2011, right after we graduate. We both turn 18 in March.

I've never FELT anything more real than this. 

so believe in love. :)

heather:) said...

um not believing in love at a young age is crap u love some one at any age!!!!

lightningscar- BRONZE, Stratford, Other

There are many causes for which I would die for, but none for which I would kill.
-Ghandi

Love exsists at all ages. At some ages though, we just aren't mature enough to recegnize it.

sshortcake963 BRONZE, Lake Villa, Illinois

For He is the way truth and life no one gets to the Father except through ME

i Personally believe in love but ppl lie my parent not so much.

Chacharoo BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

"I love you."

I believe it exists in a way, possibly because I've experienced it before. How else could you lable it? Like... a crush? I don't think crushes can feel so much like love. I think after a while crushes are just fading. Sure, they may last 3 or 4 years... but do you ever feel as though there's someone else for you during those years? That THIS dude can't be the one?
I believe teenage love exists, that is a great question.

Claymonster said...
Claymonster, Champaign/ Urbana, Illinois
I don't like how people always want to label feelings. you don't always have to spell everything out. sometimes feelings are just there. the concept of having to love someone and have it be true love scares me. i'm pretty shy. well, i think it exists, but love is just so simple a word to describe such a complex feeling...

Camelot BRONZE said...
Camelot BRONZE, Woodstock, Vermont

I believe in teen love. It is perhaps rare, but when it exists it is a beautiful thing. I believe that there is that one person that is THE ONE. 

Great piece! and great topic :)

Kimmy said...
 I love ur POEM aND I BELIEVE IN YOUNG LOVE IM 11 AND IMI'M IN LOVE YEAH IT SOUNDS STUPID BUT I AM MY HEART HURTS WHEN IMI'M NOT WITH HIM AND WHEN I A MI CANTCAN'T STOP SMILING HE IS MY BEST FRIENDS BROTHER. I dontdon't liKe tHAt but itsit's LIFE. I DONTDON'T KNOW MUCH BUT I DO KNOW IDI'D DO ANYTHING FOR HIM.

mlk877 said...
mlk877, San Antonio, Texas
I do believe in teenage love. I'm engaged to my high school sweetheart of over 2 years and we are still going to college and still pursuing our goals, but we want to these things together. I don't think you can put an age on love. I know people who are 20 and are divorvced and i know people who are 75 and just got divorced. Only you can know when you've met the one and for me that was in high school! I support teenage/young love =)

Jesssxo19 BRONZE, Lexington, Nebraska

Love is something you can't describe like the look of a rose, the smell of the rain, or the feeling of forever.

i believe in teenage love too... and thats quite a coincidence.. my boyfriend and i are thinking about doing that as well... but he leaves school before i do... :( Love is in everybody..doesn't matter what age you are.. your love can be teenage love or "adult love" but it doesn't change how you feel about someone no matter what you call it!

I believe in teenage love. I also believe there is no age on love. Whoever says so doesn't know what love is clearly. I've been with my boyfriend for a long time and we plan on getting married after high school.

xoxoJess:) said...
Love has no age!! if your young, and your with someone you really like... you could possibly end up having stronger feelings everyday.. you can just feel when your in love.. teenager or not.. love is love.

Spazzmine BRONZE, Foley, Alabama

"Some of the greater things in life are unseen thats why you close your eyes when you kiss, cry, or dream... "Anonymous.

I believe in teenage love,I am experincing it every day with my boyfriend of 1 year and 3 months and I couldn't be happier because I know this is real and forever :)

Rosedawn333 BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

"do not drop courage to pick up fear." -me, "shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." -anonymous

i think this is a great piece and i simply believe in love, no age labels included. i mean all age really is is the way we measure time passing. i think that although there are some loves that are more meaningful than others, it doesn't have to do with what age you are at all. i believe you can be a teenager and find true love, or be an adult and still not have. i don't think there is any difference between "teen love" and "adult love" although i do think there has to be a distinction made from lust, which can often be mistaken for teen love.