Cheating: To forgive, or not to forgive. | Teen Ink

Cheating: To forgive, or not to forgive.

September 1, 2010
By ErinsGoneCrazy BRONZE, Portsmouth, Virginia
ErinsGoneCrazy BRONZE, Portsmouth, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”


According to Authorsden.com, 45-55% of married women and 50-60% of married men engage in extramarital sex at some time or another during their relationship. This just makes me wonder...if the statistics of cheating are this high with married couples, just how high are the statistics with couples who aren't married. Relationships with no strings attached or expectations seem like they're not even worth it anymore, seeing as how cheating seems inevitable. Are there honest relationships out there anymore? Speaking as a woman who has been cheated on, many times you start to doubt that there's ever going to be a guy that will stay faithful to you. Is it worth the risk?

What drives people to cheat in the first place? Unhappiness? Dis-satisfaction? Falling out of love? The top five reason people cheat, according to shareranks.com, are lust, loneliness, unhappiness, emotionally dissatisfied, and work. Hm...are these really reason? Or excuses? If you truly love someone, wouldn't you only want to be with them and only them? What makes that other person so irresistible to the point of losing your significant other? Some even have families, houses, cars, etc. Is sex really worth all of that?

So in the end, the question is...if you found out your significant other was cheating, would you forgive them, or leave them? Granted, a lot of men and women will say they would leave. But when you truly love someone and they're down on their knees begging you to forgive them and telling you it will never happen again, it's extremely hard to walk away. Could you do it, or would you forgive and forget?


The author's comments:
Please respond.