Why am I Taboo? | Teen Ink

Why am I Taboo?

By headoverheels44 SILVER, Dickerson, Maryland
headoverheels44 SILVER, Dickerson, Maryland

I need some explanation from society. Why is it a social norm that everyone in high school will have a relationship and move further sexually than they were? Is it so weird that I am a virgin in my senior year of high school? Why? Why is it so weird that I find sexual activity gross and don't want to participate in them? I don't feel it is fair that I am looked down upon for not being sexually active or not wanting to be sexually active. Have I had relationships? Yes, my last one lasted seven months, which is a long relationship for a high school student. Have I kissed? Yes. Have I french kissed? No, and I don't plan to. That is the reason I broke up with my last boyfriend. He wanted to take our relationship to a new level and I did not, so I didn't think it was fair for him to be with me when he wanted more.
Also, why is it so odd that I am a fertile female that is interested in only men and I don't want to have children? Is that so wrong? I love children, I work in a kindergarten class for fun because I enjoy them so much. But I don't ever want to participate in the actions required to achieve conception.
I am not afraid of sex, as some people think. I just do not find it pleasurable or needed in my life. I didn't have a traumatic experience with sex or anything like that. I just don't understand why my thinking is so wrong. I am a kind, caring, friendly girl that does well in school and is very close to my family, so why am I considered a freak for not wanting sex? But if not liking sex is a freaky thing, then please crown me the Queen of Freaks. I will gladly take the name. I am not ashamed. I am perfectly fine with being the virgin Queen of Freaks for my life, but stop labeling me as a social taboo. I am not anything of the sort. I am just a girl. I am just me. And that is all I ever want to be.
If you disagree, it is great that you have an opinion, but please don't keep pestering me to engage in an act I don't want to partake in.

Let me know your opinion.