Romeo & Juliet Essay | Teen Ink

Romeo & Juliet Essay

By LivyNewhall DIAMOND, Palm Coast, Florida
LivyNewhall DIAMOND, Palm Coast, Florida

"Be the change that you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

Romeo and Juliet is a tragic tale of the death of young love. Romeo was a Montague, whereas Juliet was a Capulet. The couple meet at a Capulet party and it is love at first sight. Their love is kept a secret. Unfortunately, the young Count Paris asks Lord Capulet for Juliet’s hand in marriage. Lord Capulet agrees only if Juliet agrees; having no idea that Romeo meets Juliet late at night and declares his love for her, just as she declares her love for him. The two decide to get married, Juliet meets Romeo at the church and they are married by Friar Lawrence. A fight breaks out between Juliet’s cousin Tybalt, Mercutio, Romeo, and Benvolio. Tybalt kills Mercutio, Romeo kills Tybalt. The Prince banishes Romeo from Verona. Juliet is hysterical and finds out that she is to marry Count Paris very soon. Friar Lawrence helps Juliet to fake her own death, but Romeo thinks that she is really dead. When Friar Lawrence finds out that Romeo thinks she’s really dead he goes to Juliet’s tomb to get her out himself. Paris is the first to get to Juliet’s tomb where he is met by Romeo, who kills him. Romeo then, seeing Juliet dead, drinks poison to kill himself. Juliet wakes up to see both of the men dead and kills herself. In the end, the truth is told about all of the secrets that were kept. This makes the feuding houses put an end to their feud.

Romeo and Juliet did not have to die, though their personalities played a big part in their deaths. Romeo was very impatient and impulsive, which caused him to not take the time to make sure she really was dead. Juliet was also very impulsive and lovestruck. She couldn’t bear to live on without Romeo, so she committed suicide. They did not solely cause their own deaths. Romeo and Juliet would never had had to think about alternative ways to be together if their houses hadn’t been feuding. They would not have had to keep secrets, they would have been able to be together without any problems. Romeo and Juliet’s deaths were not for nothing. They are the reason why in the end, their houses end the feud. No one specifically is to blame for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet. It was fate that they died that awful night. Their deaths were the only thing that was going to stop the feud. The feud was ended, which gave way to peace just as the Prince said, “A glooming peace this morning with it brings.” (5.3.314). In a tragic way, Romeo and Juliet had to die. Their deaths were not forgotten, and the feud was ended.

Essay for English after reading Romeo & Juliet.