Relating to my Screen | Teen Ink

Relating to my Screen

May 30, 2023
By kylamlehado BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
kylamlehado BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 Is your idol from another dimension? They don't really exist, but you can watch their entire life unfold as if you were a bystander through a pixelated screen. That’s the power of representation in television. The character's life and difficulties are similar to your own, you are inspired by their story rather than just feeling a connection.

Visual representation enables individuals to view themselves through a fictional character in a different light. This makes it so that people's unique struggles, which are not frequently discussed, are not made fun of; rather, it sheds light on people's circumstances. People with disabilities are one example. We can claim as a society that we understand the difficulties of having a disability, but we will never truly understand until we are placed in their shoes.  As a result, when TV shows identify a character with a disability, someone out there can find their pixelated idol. Continuing TV shows that highlight how someone with disabilities can do anything provide representation and inspiration to younger viewers rather than leaving them out of tv screens. 

On ABC, a brand-new hit TV program called The Good Doctor launched. The protagonist, Shaun Murphy is a first-year surgeon at Bonaventure Hospital who continues to struggle with portions of his work because of his autism despite saving millions of lives. The producers did not want Shaun's identity to be questioned; therefore, they revealed Shaun's Autism in the first episode.

For instance, in The Big Bang Theory, it's evident that Sheldon is somewhere on the Autism Spectrum, but it's never been explicitly mentioned in either of the 12 seasons. The Good Doctor metaphorically screams out that Shaun has Autism. 

The Good Doctor strongly advocates for people who may struggle in fields that are necessary for their passions. Caputo a writer for Fan Fest News, analyzes how Shaun is “unable to personally connect with those around him but Shaun uses his extraordinary medical gifts to save lives and challenge the skepticism of his colleagues.”What makes The Good Doctor so intriguing is that Shaun deviates from what a stereotyped person with Autism looks and speaks like. Shaun appears to be an intelligent white man who wears button down shirts and beige pants and works as a surgeon at one of California's largest hospitals; it's difficult to say that Shaun has autism. 

Shaun's life as an outsider in his society is the focus, and Hawkins, an online editor for The Wrangler, agrees that the show "does a good job of fully captivating how autism affects the afflicted, rather than how it affects those around the afflicted."

Regarding giving awareness for Autism, Shaun Murphy also connects with many people with diverse backgrounds. Nguyen, a writer for IndieWire, explains how "anyone who’s perceived to be different from the norm can identify with Shaun’s struggles." It’s television shows like The Good Doctor that truly impact their viewers to change their lives for the better in their particular situations. Caputo, a writer for Fan Fest News, shares how a viewer's "son had been struggling greatly with depression and, after watching the first episode of the series, he agreed and was inspired to resume therapy." Continued representation in television shows influences people to reflect on their own lives and make a change and if everyone is given that opportunity it can better our society. 

Therefore, bringing the question of what if the series ends?

 


We have the power to demand more representation of diverse experiences on television, and it's crucial that we use it. By supporting and advocating for shows like The Good Doctor, we can ensure that children and adults alike have access to inspiring, authentic portrayals of characters with disabilities and other marginalized identities. Without these representations, children are left with a disability and an idol who does not exist. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Work Consulted

 


Caputo, Denise. “ABC's 'The Good Doctor' is Inspiring Audiences and Winning Over the Hearts of Viewers Everywhere.” FanFest.com, 7 November 2017, fanfest.com/abcs-the-good-doctor-is-inspiring-audiences-and-winning-over-the-hearts-of-viewers-everywhere/. Accessed 14 April 2023

Hawkins, Emily. “The Good Doctor: A New Type of Representation.” The Wrangler, 10 October 2018, thewrangleronline.com/27891/arts-and-entertainment/the-good-doctor-a-new-type-of-representation-edited-by-dh/. Accessed 14 April 2023.

Nguyen, Hanh. “'The Good Doctor' Is the Perfect Show for Anyone Who Feels Like an Outsider, Marginalized, or Misunderstood.” IndieWire, 30 October 2017, indiewire.com/2017/10/the-good-doctor-marginalized-outsiders-abc-1201892747/. Accessed 14 April 2023.


The author's comments:

This work appears to be a teenage girl ranting about the end of her favorite show, but it is much more. Representation goes a great way in improving people's lives. As an African American, I grew up in a world where there were no leading ladies on television who looked like me. Furthermore, making me feel ostracized and unappreciated for my difficulties. As a result, for streaming firms to discontinue series that inspire many younger viewers, it diminishes a person's sense of acceptance.