The Twilight Phenomenon: “It’s All Too Much” | Teen Ink

The Twilight Phenomenon: “It’s All Too Much”

By Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky
Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people merely exist, that is all." -Oscar Wilde

Twilight; it’s sweeping the nation and taking it by storm. It’s the largest book sensation since Harry Potter. Stephanie Meyer; an amazing author who, by luck, had a bestselling dream. She’s a phenomenon herself, with not only Twilight on the shelves, but The Host and Prom Nights From Hell. She also has a series of movies as a companion to her book series, Twilight, but have any of you stopped to think that maybe we’ve paid a little too much attention to this wonderful author and her books?

Now, I would never underestimate Meyer’s writing skills, or her colorful visions that have brought so many to fall in love with her leading vampire, Edward, but I will question as whether we’ve taken the marketing a little too far. Anytime I step out of my house, I see something about Twilight: a shirt, a poster, a keychain, or even, a bottle of Twilight perfume! People! Your boyfriend will NOT turn into Edward Cullen just because you spray him with Edward scented cologne and I guess that’s where I’m going with this. But wait! Now I don’t even have to leave the house! I can simply go online to check MySpace and see adds for Twilight quizzes claiming to tell you who “your perfect Twilight mach is!” or “which Twilight character you most resemble.” Who takes the time to make this stuff up?

My best friend, Brooklynn, is a self proclaimed Twilighter. She is in love with the fictional character Edward Cullen and wants Alice as a best friend. I am the one who introduced her to the Twilight series because I loved it so much. I still love it to death, but I am disappointed in how people, like Brooklynn, are treating this craze, with a closest stocked with shirts that proclaim “Team Edward,” or “I Run With Wolves.” This is taking it a little too far. While one shirt simply saying “Twilight” might be cute, a whole wardrobe proclaiming your love for the leads is simply edging on crazy.

Also, I’m extremely glad that Meyer has become successful in her writing career and has gotten movie contracts, but midnight release parties for the books and movies and the release of the DVDs is taking it a little to far. I recently attended the midnight release party for her book Breaking Dawn with Brooklynn, who I mentioned above. It was at a Barnes & Noble store. I was surprised what I found. People were dressed up as the characters and there was a giant wedding cake for Edward and Bella. At the Starbucks, there were Team Edward and Team Jacob drinks. There was a Twilight Fashion Show for the people who came in there best Twilight looks. There were a couple of boys dressed as Jacob and Edward there for pictures with their fans. And when it came time to purchase the book, as they called up the different groups, the people ran to be first. I thought the idea of this was insane. We were all purchasing the same book, we’re just buying it at different times.

Stephanie and all the Twilighters, don’t be mad! I love Twilight, too! I really do! I just believe the American public has taken it too far. I recommend this book for anyone. It’s a great read, but don’t take your love for Edward, or Bella, or Jacob, or vampires, or werewolves too far. I don’t believe any book, or movie is worth an obsession like the one surrounding Twilight. In the words of The Beatles, “It’s all too much!”

You know, now that I'm older, looking at this, I have to agree. At the time of writing this, I was in 8th grade. Now, being a senior in high school and having my eyes open to much more mature literature, I do not like Meyer's writing style. I prefer now the writings of Plath, and Poe, and Shakespeare.

Nyteshade said...
The craze has gone a bit far i realized this when I was talking bad about Edward and a bunch of Tem Edward fangirls fan girls jumped me. really nice peice.

Amd92 BRONZE said...
Amd92 BRONZE, Tinley Park, Illinois

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh

Thank you. 100% agree.

Amd92 BRONZE said...
Amd92 BRONZE, Tinley Park, Illinois

I was excited to see this article because I agree that the American public has taken this WAY too far and I respect the fact that you like the Twilight series. But I would have to disagree about Stephanie's skills. I think her books are rather immature and even a little bit poorly written. I can appreciate simple syntax and diction, but I think she didn't write in a simple way as tastefully as it can be done. 

brenda27 GOLD said...
brenda27 GOLD, Georgetown, Kentucky

never give up on your dreams do what you like and be who you want to be.

i think that twilight hasnt gone to far it gives the fans what they want .personally i love twilight .

LoEssie BRONZE said...
LoEssie BRONZE, Freeport, New York

A room without books is like a body without a soul. I don't know who wrote that, it was just on an advertisement at my library. . . hahaha.

Hmm. . . admirable-you're one of the few people that talk about the Twilight series in a, I don't know, non-obssesive way. I must say, however, that, even though I am not a Twiheart or have even taken the time to read the book (I've tried, trust me, I just have a different opinion than most on the story line) I have been sucked into the phenomena (non). I would gladly purchase a teeshirt that said "Running with the wolves" or something, but, as you said-just one shirt. I'm a definate team Jacob, but I'm not obssessed with it. . . sorry-I'm ranting. My point is, that I would scream and run in a Barnes and Noble when the new installment of the Olympians series or if Memoirs of a Geisha got a sequal to get my hands on it. .  I feel that Twilight will fade away into the sunset once people see Breaking Dawn, and something else better will come.

Peace420 BRONZE, Williston, Florida
I read Twilight and New Moon before all of this and i'm not in love with it. I think it is stupid how people are like, "OMG Twilight!" Don't get me wrong, I love the books but sparkling vampires are not my thing. Harry Potter is much cooler anyways...

ImmortalDay said...
Why would you want a cologe vampires are suppose to smell like rotting blood and that stinks no one likes the smell of death.

Sheridan PLATINUM, Spokane, Washington

By the time you are done reading this you will have wasted 10 seconds of your life.

I totally agree! I used to love Twilight but it's all gone a bit too far! I see Twilight as a trend, just like Harry Potter. A fashion that you wear, obsess over, talk to others about, but eventually it's out of style and people move on to something else. So people start moving on!!!

Stormy16 SILVER, Tolleson, Arizona

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.
-Victor Hugo

Hey, I love the book Twilight, but I'm not in love with Edward! That's just STUPID! he's a ficional character! come on ladies get over the dream.

biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

oh my gosh!!! im NOT AS INSANE AS ALL MY FRIENDS BELIEVE!!!!!!! ;)

12345 BRONZE said...
12345 BRONZE, Strafford, New Hampshire
FINALLY!!! Someone who's half as sane as I am! LOL

Wickedgirl95 SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

We may not talk everyday, we may not live next door, but true friends are there they are the ones that think of you and care how you are doing.

I totally agree! My friends have never let a day go by without having a whole discusion about Twilight! They act like these characters are real! And this has been since about this time LAST YEAR!!! I like the idea of basing each book off a clasic (like Romeo and Juliet or Withering Heights) but I mean It's jut a book! Nothing to get too worked up about! Anyway so great writing...I had decided to read this because drew me in.... :)

Brett95 BRONZE said...
Brett95 BRONZE, Farmington, New Mexico
i feel pretty much the same way. only difference: i like the midnight release parties.

but yea my friends are obsessed and i tell them "PEOPLE there are TONS of good books out there" i liked twilight and thought it was really good but to me, who reads a lot, it was just another good book

i also find it very funny how all the ads around your essay are of twilight lol

I totally agree with you! There are other things about the Twilight series that seem fishy. For example, the only time Meyer uses vivid description is when she is talking about Edward. Also, the books seem to cater to female desire more than the plot and theme.Great article! You touched a valuable point in both Twilight and how fast and furious marketing is today. :)

MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

although i love the whole twilight series and yes, even went to the midnight release of breaking dawn, i have to agree. i loved the series a bit before the whole craze. people need to calm down a bit haha

i also find it kind of ironic as i was reading through the article, there are "twilight quiz" ads all over the place.

CaitlinOnTheWeb BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
LAuren I saw agree with you my friends and I got into a huge fihgt because I disagreed with them about Twilight. Its been blown way out of porportion.

Springcactus GOLD, Camillus, New York
My thoughts exactly! I think Twilight is a pretty good series, but I'm going to go insane if I see another girl proclaiming herself to be Mrs. Edward Cullen (coughcough my friend Miranda cough cough).

You know, even as i'm going back and reading my writing,

i see twilight adds on the top, bottom, and side of the screen.

haha.

Brooklynn A. said...
yo lauren... nice piece, really well written... and, over the break, i discovered that i like a different author better: James Patterson. so, i may not totally get over my obsession, but i'm going to try to lay off a bit.

-Ur bff,

Brooklynn (i was in the story!!! yay!!!)