music criticism | Teen Ink

music criticism

By scotttyboy SILVER, St.paris, Ohio
scotttyboy SILVER, St.paris, Ohio

I absolutely hate how people can give a quick listen to a certain genre or piece of music and immediately say that they don't like it. i beleive that no matter what age you are you should give all music a chance. everyone is entitled to their opinion but having a prejudice towards a certain genre of music without truly listening or experiencing it is wrong. Many of my friends don't like the music that i listen to because they beleive that it is dark and hateful. None of them have even listened to the words or even tried to understand what the artist is trying to say. They hear one scream in the song and they immediately dislike it. i beleive that if everyone gave music a fair chance then more artists would come out of their shells and not be afraid to express themselves in fear of prejudice of something they may have worked on their entire lives. having prejudice towards a certain genre of music or even a song that someone told you about is wrong unless you have a good reason to dislike it. i'm just saying that everyone and everything deserves a chance.

this peice was inspired by my grandma because one day we were sitting in the car and she was flipping through the radio stations and she came upon a song that i liked. i asked her if we could listen to it and after listening to an electric guitar solo for about three seconds she immediately claimed that it was crap and noise and that i shouldn't be listening to stuff like that. i was extremely angry....i told her that she should at least give it a chance but she turned the station anyways.
so im writing this as my own form of retalliation.....thnk you for reading! hope you enjoy! (:

brostep BRONZE said...
brostep BRONZE, Brookline, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I'm all for open-mindedness for music but your post was incredibly incoherent

TiannaField SILVER, Shawano, Wisconsin

"Music was her life, Lyrics were her story","Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who didnt hear the music",

I think youre right on, in fact, i jsuit submitted an article,almost with the same idea as yours.my mom doesnt think screamo is music. my tohught, its under tem usic genre of my ipod, its music! great article, i love it

EmmaNemma GOLD said...
EmmaNemma GOLD, The Shire, Vermont

If you think you are a hypochondriac by definition aren't you?

I uselly try different genres out but uselly I stick to rock or alternative rock. I get what you mean though. I really dislike most country but I like Neko Case. I've started to juge by the artist of band instea of the genre. 

rani_lee BRONZE, Lithonia, Georgia

We are what we are.

Dude, i completely agree with you. i have friends who will not listen to anything outside of their chosen genres. there's good and bad in every genre of music just like there is with people.

kmarshall50 BRONZE, Sedalia, Missouri
I know how you feel.

FluteChick PLATINUM, Jefferson, Oregon
What song was it?

jeffb666 said...
jeffb666, Cranston, Rhode Island

You are the only person who can chose your destiny...

You are absolutly correct scottyboy, everyone should listen to all music and give it a chance before they decide if it is bad or not. I say this because everyone thinks that hard rock/metal is a bad genre of music, but I personally love Ozzy Osbourne's music, and a lot of others! But anyways, that is very smart of you to say something like that!

Sean3 BRONZE said...
Sean3 BRONZE, Fowler, Colorado
this is a good point, and yes some people are predgeus agenst certian music, ( i have a friend that hates country, and i have a friend that hates metal) so, yea, but maby some one has listend to alot of it before, and have an honsest oppinion on it