Rocking with God | Teen Ink

Rocking with God

December 7, 2009
By Samantha Carpenter BRONZE, Pierre Part, Louisiana
Samantha Carpenter BRONZE, Pierre Part, Louisiana
1 article 2 photos 4 comments

Although you may not be within the confines of your local church as you sing along with some of your favorite rock songs, taking deeper thought towards some of the messages conveyed in many popular songs may very well be similar to listening to a sermon coming from behind a pulpit. Many bands, such as Switchfoot, Relient K, and Flyleaf, can be heard on secular and Christian radio stations alike.

The difference between being a Christian band as opposed to a band with Christian members is that although the artist may be a Christian, he or she does not necessarily always make a public display of this. The band Creed, for example, was first signed under a Christian label and then spent years trying to branch away from the label that is the “Christian” genre. The members are Catholic, but do not wish for that to influence their music. Daughtry is another band not nessisarily labeled “Christian,” yet the first thing Chris Daughtry acknowledges in his album Daughty is his gratitude for his personal Savior, Jesus Christ. Their music, however, is not generally dedicated towards relaying the evangelistic message of God.

What sets Christian rock bands apart from the others is their common goal of spreading uplifting, Christian world-views. “These bands send a deep message about their view on today's society. It's not about sex, drugs, and violence,” says one junior, who then adds, “If you took the time to meet these artists, you would realize their true knowledge on how Earth is today. The Devil Wears Prada, one of my biggest influences, as well as Underoath, knows the real right from wrong. The songs are not about slitting your wrists and all of the stereotypical stuff that comes with its genre.”

Having been to many concerts, including Hawk Nelson, Flyleaf, and Red, I’ve come to the conclusion that these artists are not at all about the fame and glory that comes with being well-known in the secular world—unless of course referring to the glory of God. After a Thousand Foot Krutch concert, a friend and I were privileged with the opportunity of speaking with the members of TFK as they were packing their instruments. After talking to the band for a while, I thanked them for providing me with music that fit my tastes while coinciding with a Christian world-view. Trevor Mcnevan, lead vocalist, said that they didn’t want any credit for their music, because it is only possible through the gifts in music and the inspiration that come from God. Thousand Foot Krutch, well known for their songs “Falls Apart” and “The Flame in All of Us,” simply want to see God glorified. Dawn Richardson, lead vocalist of Fireflight, said something similar upon speaking with her.

In an interview, Lacey Mosley of Flyleaf said that as they were recording their album, the band prayed that the Holy Spirit would move and work the will of God through them to touch and heal lives and that God would be glorified through their music. She then goes on to tell of an experience where a fan heard the song “I’m So Sick” on the radio and at first just liked the song because it sounded good. The more he began to listen to the words of the song, he felt more and more like he could relate to what was being said. The admirer, atheist and on the verge of suicide, then went to the band’s website to read Mosley’s testimony and realized that it was so much like what he was going through. As a result, he began to read the New Testament in the Bible, hungry for more encouragement, as well as listening closer to other songs.

Flyleaf has shared the stage with the likes of bands such as Korn and Stone Sour. Red, a personal favorite of mind, has recently gone on tour with Breaking Benjamin, showing that it’s not necessarily about the lyrics, rather than the music when selecting a particular genre.

The musical phenomenon that is Skillet has been propelled by album sales as well as active rock stations and music video channels such as Fuse and MTV2. One particular sophomore loves Skillet because it makes her happy. She said that both the lyrics and music were really good. One of her favorite songs by this group, “The Last Night,” includes lyrics like, “This is the last night you'll spend alone/Look me in the eyes so I know you know/I'm everywhere you want me to be./The last night you'll spend alone,/I'll wrap you in my arms and I won't let go,/I'm everything you need me to be.” When asked what she thought this song was about, she said it was about a girl whose parents did not care. She lived an abusive life, and the guy who cared about her and was assuring her that even though she felt alone, she wouldn’t ever truly be anymore. She’s pretty close to what the writers had in mind. When introducing the song, lead vocalist John Cooper explains that it was written from the perspective a girl who was hurting. She felt hopeless, desperate, worthless, and ultimately alone. The boy in Cherie’s interpretation of the song is actually God. Cooper says that God is saying, “Hey, look. I love you just as you are. I love you for your imperfections. I love all of you, and if you just let me, I’ll help you through all of this pain.”

Jackson Waters has performed for the teen drama One Tree Hill on several occasions including songs “Come Undone” and “Center of Attention.” Group 1 Crew’s “Forgive Me” can be heard during the two hour season premiere. Francesca Battistelli’s “It’s Your Life,” has landed on the Billboard Top 200. Like Flyleaf, Anberlin has been featured on one of the popular Guitar Hero games. Rather it be P.O.D., Lifehouse, or any other hit band, artists will continue rocking with a reason in today’s very cultural society. Perhaps the next time you find yourself listening to a catchy tune, you’ll notice a deeper meaning—a message of morals or maybe a promise of hope—beyond the killer beats.

Other artists you might want to give a second listen to include: As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Norma Jean, Haste the Day, Demon Hunter, Kutless, The Fray, Disciple, Pillar, Decyfer Down, and Family Force 5


The author's comments:
This was an article I had written for the Entertainment section of our school newspaper.